0%
Image 2
0%
Image 3
100.00%
I don't care
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

H7 bulb I believe hid on the bay are like 30 bucks which is cheaper than buying a two pack at advanced or oreillys. My .02

Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 PM

nah, there is enough clearance there, the wires wont have a problem. I will double check tomorrow.

I really regret just not snipping the bottom of the harness. would have been so much easier. Just a little longer to re-join. But could have made it fit better. the work is done now. Just have to put humpty dumpty back together again.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the h7, I'll look into it.

I was reading another post about an F3 not starting, and the gent said he put a uni-filter on the bike. Is there any real improvement in the uni-filter say over the stock OEM or a K&N filter?

I'm trying to gauge what makes sense, if any, to upgrade that while the tank is off.

Will i need to do a jetting if i upgrade too? i was going to do a stage 2 at the end of the season.

Second question with the HID, will i need a relay? I will be splitting the single (highbeam/lowbeam) wire to go to both headlights.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:26 PM

I was trying to figure out the best way to hook up the headlight myself. A u can be lazy and hook one up to ignition so itd on all the time when u flip the switch or b u can use a relay and some diodes to wire it so it works using thr powering from the switch. Pretty much its up to u im going to look into wirimg the hid more my self, I feel safer running them off a relay rather than just a ign.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:45 PM

theres a C, you can hook up a delay to kick the lights on after 10 sec...

Old 04-13-2011, 12:20 AM

so, put my tank back together with the wiring out the front. It fits a little snug, but i know it wont move any.

I was worried that i might have done some damage to the wires too, so i wired everything back up, and put the key in, she lit up like it was christmas! phew... that was stressful.

This is what i see under the tank

Since that was all done, i figured i would start on the F4i gauge pod conversion. I stripped the wires off the f3 harness and the f4i harness, and just twisted them together to make sure the unit worked! and... it did! no problems what so ever!

Managed to get the mph to km/h (bcs im Canadian) and set the clock. Im not a fan of yellow, so ill likely open it up and get some white LED's in there. May replace the RPM face to white as well. Make the needle blue or red, i dont know. Pretty good progress.

Tomorrow im heading over to an army surplus store, going to get a harness to wire the f3 and f4i wires up so i can detach them anytime. Take the tank off and start priming the plastic i have. Still waiting on the welders to get back to me regarding the swing arm too.

Just a lot im waiting on. kinda sucks. But i suppose i can get stuff prepped.

Last edited by nvanvlymen; 05-09-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:22 AM

out of curiosity, anyone know how many leds i should order for the inside of the f4i gauge pod? Since im going to the surplus store tomorrow, i figured i would just buy them.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by nvanvlymen
out of curiosity, anyone know how many leds i should order for the inside of the f4i gauge pod? Since im going to the surplus store tomorrow, i figured i would just buy them.
Nevermind, I found a tutorial here:
How to: Change out L.E.D.s in the gauge cluster of '01-'03 F4i. - SBN Forum

Old 04-13-2011, 11:24 AM

What purpose does the diode serve? I was trying to hook up dual hid's on my f4i conversion (both hooked up to high beams and a double throw relay) but I was never able to fire up both at the same time and it was hard to get one to light up too. I usually let it run a few seconds before i switched them on...

Originally Posted by TooBroke0029
I was trying to figure out the best way to hook up the headlight myself. A u can be lazy and hook one up to ignition so itd on all the time when u flip the switch or b u can use a relay and some diodes to wire it so it works using thr powering from the switch. Pretty much its up to u im going to look into wirimg the hid more my self, I feel safer running them off a relay rather than just a ign.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:21 PM

Im not sure about the diodes either. The only thing i can think of is to help prevent the lights from firing at the same time the ignition is turned on.

I think using the relay will be sufficient. I have the same setup in my mazda.

Now, as a side question to those who have done the f4i conversion... I was looking at an F4 (not f4i) on the street, under the front cowl, there are the two black inner pieces of plastic (not the ram air) but they sit on the inside of the fairings. I know the cowl i just bought will not have those. However my f3 does have them. wondering if i need them? and do the ram air covers around the gas tank really make a difference from an aesthetic look?

Opinions?

Quick Reply: 98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)