0%
Image 2
0%
Image 3
100.00%
I don't care
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hootie233
What purpose does the diode serve? I was trying to hook up dual hid's on my f4i conversion (both hooked up to high beams and a double throw relay) but I was never able to fire up both at the same time and it was hard to get one to light up too. I usually let it run a few seconds before i switched them on...
Thinking of it further, i think the voltage drop when the bike starts causes an interrupt in the ballast, and the lights cant ignite properly. I have the same issue with my mazda, either one will fire or both will fire. If one fires, i have to turn them off, and on again.

With the battery size and output, the amperage draw while cranking the bike over would be enough to cause a problem i would think for an the HID's to ignite.

I may be way off base.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:38 PM

You also degrade the HID's quicker by turning them on and off before they heat up properly.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by nvanvlymen
Tomorrow im heading over to an army surplus store, going to get a harness to wire the f3 and f4i wires up so i can detach them anytime. Take the tank off and start priming the plastic i have. Still waiting on the welders to get back to me regarding the swing arm too.
let us know what you pay for those m/f plugs. i went to best buy and ended up paying 50 bucks for m/f plugs. i havent opened them yet and im holding onto the reciept because 50 bucks is rediculous...

Old 04-13-2011, 02:00 PM

8.50 for the two wires. What sucks is that these would match up wth the stock harness that was on the f4 gauges. Course, thinking i wouldnt be able to match them, i snipped them. UGH.

So, im going to snip these near the ends and solder on the stock wires, and voila... insta-harness... I need to have something in place for when i do the LED upgrade.

Last edited by nvanvlymen; 05-09-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Yes it does there is way too much open space with out the covers there. I didnt purchase a complete set of fairings so im missing the covers. Looks incomplete and urks me all the time

Old 04-13-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by TooBroke0029
Yes it does there is way too much open space with out the covers there. I didnt purchase a complete set of fairings so im missing the covers. Looks incomplete and urks me all the time
Bummer. I may just make something custom. Need that front cowl.

With regards to the stay bar, I noticed that you do definitely need a bracket between the bike and the f4i stay. They are totally different sizes. I suppose you don't need much of a bracket, just enough to marry the two together.

Hardware store run tonight for fiberglass, bondo and some strip aluminium.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:56 PM

that bracket is easy enough to make, no biggie

Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 PM

You are absolutely correct on the voltage interrupt for the hid...will burn up a ballast quickly. You are going to need 2 relays to get the f4i headlight to work properly. You will be able to turn them both on with just one relay but will need a second one to turn the high beam side off when you flip the switch back to low beam

Old 04-13-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by orangef3
You are absolutely correct on the voltage interrupt for the hid...will burn up a ballast quickly. You are going to need 2 relays to get the f4i headlight to work properly. You will be able to turn them both on with just one relay but will need a second one to turn the high beam side off when you flip the switch back to low beam
If i were going to run one HID for daytime, and the other HID for the high beam, then, yes, i would need a second relay that would connect to the high beam pin on the headlight harness.

my thought was to run both HID's in tandem all the time. But now that i think about it, your right, i should just run them in a daytime (one HID) and high beam (both HID's) setup.

Ugh, just more money. I know i can recoup on the old f3 plastic, but i cant sell it on this forum as a junior member.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Whats a good place to mount the ballasts anyhow?

Quick Reply: 98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)