0%
Image 2
0%
Image 3
100.00%
I don't care
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

slight offset?? is it towards the swing arm to the left or the other way towards the right of the bike. If its towards the swingarm, im pretty sure you can just run a spacer and be ok

Old 05-04-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by NYKnick1015
slight offset?? is it towards the swing arm to the left or the other way towards the right of the bike. If its towards the swingarm, im pretty sure you can just run a spacer and be ok
I wish it was a negative offset. But it's a positive offset. I will ride it like it is and see if i need to figure something out.

Basically the swing arm is mounted as far to the left as possible. The rim is a 5.5, and there are no spacers. the only thing i can think of is to have the inside of the rim machined down a bit, but i don't want to compromise the strength of the rim.

There is some material on the frame that i could remove to get the OC lined up, but then i would re-configure all the shock mounts on the bike. Not to mention if the chain goes out of alignment.

All in all i think the 600 is just too small a frame to do this mod too. If the frame was a bit bigger, it would probably work out better. The 900's would be a good candidate for this mod.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:19 PM

small update.

I put the brake assembly back together again (correctly i think) now i need to drill a couple holes in the swingarm so i can run a brake line through it.

Put the wheel back on, and the offset isnt so bad. Once the tire is replaced, it will be less noticeable.

Last edited by nvanvlymen; 05-09-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:11 AM

Been a while since i updated this thread.

Couple things got in the way, for one my new kid was born. Two, ive been waiting on parts.

Anyhow, managed to get the bike on two wheels last night, still a mess of wires and crap. Gas tank painted, front fender painted. I had to fiberglass / bondo a couple parts that were broken for the front fairing.

All in all, its been slow. I had to get a new adjustable shock dogbone to help lower the bike to a more stock level. I went from a 42t to 47t back sprocket so i could get more chain clearance.

Right now im cleaning up the tail fairing, and will mount my f4i fairing this weekend. My SD card is out of my phone, so photos will come later.

All in all, im happy with the look, but man has my wallet suffered. Mind you I have not sold any of my old parts yet, I will do that next spring when there is a better chance of making some money back.

Really, I like the absence of the tail, will be a good conversion to streetfighter in the future.

Heres the new dogbone

Last edited by nvanvlymen; 05-09-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Wow, you have put a lot of time into this bike. Congrats on the new baby

Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM

congrads on new baby,better get ur ride tie in now while u can,lol,great job on bike ths far im sold im git it done

Old 06-17-2011, 12:23 PM

Here are more shots:

I had a custom brake line installed in the arm.

Painted the caliper gold, with a gold pearl finish. Accent colors. Did my stay bar the same way.

After i installed the new dogbone, i noticed that in order to get the bike to a stock ride height, i had to shave down some points on my pivot arm, this allows the shock to ride a little lower at the most extreme.

This is the first 42t rear sprocket. The chain is still riding the rail too much. Needed 1" added to the diameter of the sprocket = 47t.

new 47tooth. Looks like a saw blade.

Here is the first coat of paint on the front fender. went a pearl white, but was more cream colored... didnt like it.

Did a second coat of metallic white, it didnt cover it all. went over it with a transparent white coat, which showed the pearl/metallic finish a bit, then went over it with a hotrod sparkle silver from AutoAir Colors.

The pictures don't do it justice.

Did the gastank and the rear wheel in the same fashion.

This is where i stand with the bike now. I lowered the rear frame down a bit last night, looks like it could go down a bit more.

Have to sand down the bondo, the rear R1 tail had some cracks in it. I have to re-mount the subframe i made, and then get the Rectifier and other components mounted.

Tonight is about getting the front and side fairings mounted.

Last edited by nvanvlymen; 05-09-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 PM

Here are more shots:

I had a custom brake line installed in the arm.

Painted the caliper gold, with a gold pearl finish. Accent colors. Did my stay bar the same way.

After i installed the new dogbone, i noticed that in order to get the bike to a stock ride height, i had to shave down some points on my pivot arm, this allows the shock to ride a little lower at the most extreme.

This is the first 42t rear sprocket. The chain is still riding the rail too much. Needed 1" added to the diameter of the sprocket = 47t.

new 47tooth. Looks like a saw blade.

Here is the first coat of paint on the front fender. went a pearl white, but was more cream colored... didnt like it.

Did a second coat of metallic white, it didnt cover it all. went over it with a transparent white coat, which showed the pearl/metallic finish a bit, then went over it with a hotrod sparkle silver from AutoAir Colors.

The pictures don't do it justice.

Did the gastank and the rear wheel in the same fashion.

This is where i stand with the bike now. I lowered the rear frame down a bit last night, looks like it could go down a bit more.

Have to sand down the bondo, the rear R1 tail had some cracks in it. I have to re-mount the subframe i made, and then get the Rectifier and other components mounted.

Tonight is about getting the front and side fairings mounted.

Last edited by nvanvlymen; 05-09-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:28 PM

as a note, the brake line at the top of the swingarm is held in place by the plastic C hooks you would attach your home cable to. Instead of a nail, i used very small screws, and pre-drilled into the swingarm. This way its out of the way. I have a lot of slack in the brake line, so i just tucked it up where the coolant tank is.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:41 PM

I had to do some bondo/fiberglass to fix some of the front fairings.

The cowl had been broken before, but never repaired properly.

Along the top right and left corners where the headlight would be, they kept cracking. They (the previous guys) just used bondo to fix it. but wasnt strong enough. So i used a single strip of fiberglass, then bondo'd the crap out of it with a lot of hardener mixed in.
Pain to sand down, but it worked out.

On the inside, they didnt align up the mounting points for the headlight very well, so i dremeled the tabs off, and re-aligned them. At first i just used bondo to attach them, but after i tightened everything up, they popped off. Again, fiberglass to the rescue.

The center connection wasn't even on the fairing, i had to custom add that myself. I used a 3" long threaded screw, with a couple washers at the bottom. added the fiberglass and bondo and it's never coming off.

After it was all sanded down, i could still see some bumps and groves from the bondo work. I coated it in my white base coat a couple times to build up a top coat. then wet sanded it back down to level everything off.

Looks good, no photo though.

The side fairing had a crack in it from a previous fall. it was only 30$ so it was worth learning on.

First the rear is fixed

Then the front.

all fixed

after the white base coat gets applied, there wont be anything to say there was a crack there.

I also had to polish some of the bolts for the swing arm. This is what holds the rear sprocket on.

This is after i buffed it with my dremel with a steel brush tip.

turned out pretty good.

Last edited by nvanvlymen; 05-09-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)