0%
Image 2
0%
Image 3
100.00%
I don't care
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, what a pain to do!

OK, i'm going to try and just tuck it in first, see how it goes. Id rather not take the who damn bike apart if not needed. I already have enough to do to get her on the road! if it fails, then i'll think about how to proceed. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Old 04-10-2011, 04:00 PM

Man, just tuck it, it'll take 2 hours tops.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM

so, what's involved with totally removing the gastank? i already have the upper and lower bolts that hold it down off, so i can move it around a bit.

There are three lines coming from the tank that you can see from the side of the bike. the gas line obviously with the circular switch, then two small others?

I assume i would have to remove the tank to replace the air filter anyhow?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM

Never mind, I just watched a tutorial on it. looks like the tank is coming off tonight.

I will still need to snip that one set of wires going under the air tank. small price to pay.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 PM

why snip? just disconnect them! no need to snip anything at all

Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 PM

No, i mean the one wire at the top that i pointed out. I cant determine where else it goes to other than the rad fan. If that wire can be disconnected after i take off the tank, great, if not, i'll just snip it. Im still contemplating snipping the whole thing at the bottom and making a harness. we'll just see how it goes tonight.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:03 PM

You can defenitly disconnect everything once the tank and airbox are off.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:38 PM

Once the tank is off along with the airbox u will pretty much be able To see everything and reslly easy access to whatever that wirr your talking about I think goes to the fan relay. Not 100% on that.

Last edited by TooBroke0029; 04-11-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 PM

well, taking the gas tank off was pretty simple. no spillage.

shot of the air intake housing

So, following the advice of kerosene, i stripped off the air intake and some tubing around.

After that, i was able to pull out the wires from under it. After some massaging, i was able to sneak the wire harness out to the bottom of the bike, and around to the battery box. I have to say, its a real pain in the ***. The fuse box is big and bulky. You have to be polite with it.

Here you can see the harness just flopped over the frame.

After that, it was a matter of trying to figure out how to run the wires through the frame. I was able to undo the distributors and push around some wires to run the harness through. It will be a tighter fit im sure, but it hides them non the less. Again, the stupid fuse box was a pain to push through. After i was done, i did a visual inspection of the wires to make sure nothing was pinched or broken. The unfortunate part of this is now i have more wire to deal with. I will have to bundle some of it up to keep it out of the way.

of course, with the bike without much of anything assembled, i cant make sure the bike is in running condition. While the tank is off, im going to sand it and prime it. Probably pick up some bondo tomorrow and start fixing the right side fairing.

Also just got my headlight in. woot. Just need the front fairing. What type of bulb does the f4i headlight take? ill have to pick some up tomorrow. Going to run dual daytime light. No HD this year. Maybe next. I've spend enough money

Last edited by nvanvlymen; 05-09-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 PM

Take those black plastic off too, and you'll be able to tuck the cable right next to the carb... I also went under the top subframe pipe so the cables are not exposed on top... otherwise the tank will sit on it.

Quick Reply: 98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)