0%
Image 2
0%
Image 3
100.00%
I don't care
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be playing with the wiring tomorrow of the headlights, going to figure out what needs to be done. I'm planning to run 2 hi/lo HID's temporarly until I get projectors... only requires 1 relay for that which is just to have both light on.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by kerosene
I'll be playing with the wiring tomorrow of the headlights, going to figure out what needs to be done. I'm planning to run 2 hi/lo HID's temporarly until I get projectors... only requires 1 relay for that which is just to have both light on.
how are you going to mount projectors into the f4i housing (if thats the bike your planning on doing this to?)

I assume, much like car headlights, you can bake the f4 headlight and take it apart, or just use a heat gun to soften up the glue holding it together?

I was considering running a home made angel eye kit, but wasn't sure about the baking process for this assembly. I was just going to do straight up HID bulbs in the assembly, but would love to see how projectors fit.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:07 PM

There are a couple write ups on angel eyes where they discuss seperating the housing.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:46 PM

****, just buy projectors with angel eyes already built in... they're the same price as just projectors.

look under Group buys, I had a thread in there with a group buy

Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Ok, so I lied, I didn't get to do the lights today, I started doing a trunk from aluminum, almost finished it then found some thinner alumiinum, so I made the trunk bigger, then decided to use fiberglass... so I never actually got to the lights :P

Old 04-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Didn't get much done this weekend. Some light re-wiring, moved the bulk of the harness under and around the air filter so the wiring comes up the front / under the top of the gas tank. I also stripped the majority of the shielding around the wiring off, in the hopes that i could better manage the mess.

I bought a new 18 pin unified harness from a local electronics depot. This will reduce the work i need to rejoin either of the f4i or f3 gauge wires. The real purpose was to get the bike prepared for the one day i want to go streetfighter.

Anyhow, got a double relay for the headlights and ordered in my HID. I also got the new front cowl. Has to be sanded and lightly repaired. The weather has been frikken cold. The welder said he will have the back fork done this week, but im still missing the rim. so it's not like i can do much else while it up on the jack.

Hopefully this week will prove to be more effective in getting stuff done.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:38 PM

As a quick question.... I mounted the swingarm today... got it back from the welders and everythin is great.

Then I thought I would see how much room I would have between the sssa arm and what is "center" on the bike... and a 7" rim wont fit. I looked at the stock CBR rear wheel. And the tire looks like its 6.5" wide.

So here's the thing... on a 6" rim... how much tire will overhang the rim... I noticed quite a bit of it on my stick rim. I'm trying to figure out if I have a 7" rim with a 200 tire... how much extra tire will overhang the rim? I was reading that some guys run an offset up to 22mm... uneven tire wear but with that I may be able to still fit the 7" rim.

Second question. Do all bike tires have the same amount of overhand on the rim?

Say I was to find a 6.5" rim, what rubber would I run on it? 190?

I need to hit to car shop I bought the rim to see if it was shipped... if the overhang is too great... I will need to consider a smaller rim.

I guess the next thought is how terrible would it be to run a rear tire with a positive offset?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:40 PM

Sorry for the typos. Auto correct sucks.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:23 PM

*sad face*. looks like the car rim idea may be out. Due to the current offset of the SSSA, and mounting a 200 tire, I will be running too much of a positive offset to make the bike safe. Where other people are running the car rim, they have a larger frame to support pushing the SSSA over to a more nominal offset. I would be looking at something like a 22mm riding offset at the rear.

Secondly, after talking to a bunch of custom guys in my area, they are all shying away from running a car rim. Because the inner diameter of the bike tire is smaller than the bead of the car rim, and because of the aggressiveness you have to get the tire to mount... im afraid i may have to buck down and just get a VFR rim...

Im investigating a custom rim.. but know that it's way out of my price range. If you have a larger bike (900+ cc) then likely the frame will be bigger, giving you room to get a 200 tire in there.

Will keep going dispute the disappointment.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:05 PM

Sucks when the cookie crumbles that way, but dont be discouraged. Ur making good progress and to be honest my bike has taken me a year so far and its still not done. Just keep up th er good work.

Quick Reply: 98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)