0%
Image 2
0%
Image 3
100.00%
I don't care
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:22 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious why didnt you wire the DRL's to the low Beam and the headlights to the highbeam that way the DRL's arent on at night?

Old 06-28-2014, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ambeos5
just curious why didnt you wire the DRL's to the low Beam and the headlights to the highbeam that way the DRL's arent on at night?
Well, I like the look of the led strips, even at night with the headlights both on.

They are bright enough that they do help illuminate around the bike up to 5meters. Then the hids do the rest. I wanted an always on solution, so that's why I went that route.

Also, the high beam indicator is blue, so it works with the 'afterglow effect of the windscreen.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:18 AM
ROTM, Oct 2014

Originally Posted by nvanvlymen
Well, I like the look of the led strips, even at night with the headlights both on.

They are bright enough that they do help illuminate around the bike up to 5meters. Then the hids do the rest. I wanted an always on solution, so that's why I went that route.

Also, the high beam indicator is blue, so it works with the 'afterglow effect of the windscreen.
just wonder the police give us a hard time around here for the HIDS im sure if i added DRL's to them they would really be on me about it.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:57 AM

So far, the cops have not given me any grief. The HID's are not that bad because of the eyelids... but i do need to calibrate the reflectors a bit more.

Conrice, that's a superb idea! i would have never thought of it! lots or room in there.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 PM

A couple weeks ago, my buddy who has a DJI Phantom and I came up with a good idea for him to get some practical filming experience... have him fly his quad around me riding the bike. Of course, we needed a third party to drive him while he flew. Here are two videos of our exploits.

he's still trying to get the hang of it. Excuse the wonderful crash at the end, believe it or not, it didn't break at all!
It has a top speed of about 40km/h so it was hard to get the video lined up. His Phantom only has a general use gimbal as well.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...33661696289711

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...25341999748400

Last edited by nvanvlymen; 07-28-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:26 PM

It's been a while since i've updated my build thread. Not much has been added. I noticed earlier this year the bike was easily getting above 200+f, kicking the fan on and off pretty often. after changing the rad fluid to arctic ice, i still had some issues with heating... never over heated or boiled over, but ran much hotter than years previous. Burped it, burped it again, changed the fluid again... nothing. so i added an override on the fan.

I use it when i'm just booting around on the street and in stop and go traffic. immediately brings the temp down to 170-180.

I'm sure there is a bigger issue looming, but i'll deal with it next year.

The second issue I'm having is my damn seat cooks up like a bitch. partially due to the rectifier being right under it, and the underside exhaust being so close.. i meant to get some exhaust wrap, but figured this would be ok too.. wired directly to a license plate light. gives a nice little hum when the power is on.

after some hot city driving... i need exhaust tape more than a fan but now the season is over. perhaps its time to get some shortys on.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:48 PM

actually, now that i think of it, i have been wanting to rice it up a bit more. i'm a (large) fan of Tron, and had always wanted to do led strips on the rims. given the SSSA, it limits the potential. it has been done, ive seen photos, but never a build thread on what products or techniques were used.

some sell UV tape, with a UV led pod, while great, doesnt do much for the exposed side of the rear wheel. I have been looking at conductive disc's. these seem pretty standard for moving some VDC over to a rotating surface, but the price is whats turning me away. that and i want some solid color, not leds every 3" apart... not that it would matter once i start moving. I'm just being silly about the details.

anyone have experience with putting led strips on rims? now that the bike season is over for me, i'll have the rear wheel off, maybe fabricate a copper plate to pass a positive current over.

as a question, grounding out the bike should be as simple as attaching a lead to the frame... with the sssa, would you think that i could get away with grounding out on the side arm? mind you it's aluminum, which... answers my question i guess.

solutions?

Old 11-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it has been a while since we've seen an update on your bike!

I can't offer any assistance on the implementation of LED lights on the wheels, but I'm sure I'm very much not alone as one who would be very anxious to see that on your ride!

Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 AM

It's sad to say, that today I sold my F3. It had been sitting in my garage for over a year without being ridden. I had moved on to a suzuki boulevard m109 which became my daily driver. It took me almost a year to come to terms with selling her, and it did take some time for a buyer to commit. But the bike has found a new home with someone who appreciates the work that went into the build.

I want to thank the CBR community to all their guidance on this build! you are a commendable bunch!

only pic i ever had taken of me on the bike, as its loaded on a trailer.