0%
Image 2
0%
Image 3
100.00%
I don't care
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)

Old 06-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some updates to the bike.

New LED DRL's, They are bright enough to use until dusk. then i flip on the lights. I run these full time. Wired to the illumination wire from the gauge assembly.

Finished pics

I really should paint the front calipers

New windsceen, went OEM, painted with white plasti-dip spray, coated in the flecked metallic chrome the rest of the bike is, topped with a plasti-dip gloss spray. Kinda tacky to touch, but durable. The LED's that i put at the bottom of the windscreen shine up nicely.

The blue is very subtle from the underside. Since my headlights are wired to the highbeams, the blue indicator works really well. Funny, i didn't even plan it that way.

Here is a quick walk around the bike I took the other night.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...65218254153778

So, i still need to make those pesky side covers, but for now, the bike works. Need an oil change and she be done.

But what i really need is some security so i can drive the thing without fear of ... well, everything. Not that i expect someone to take a bike like this, cant even use it for parts, but more for peace of mind.. any thoughts?

Last edited by nvanvlymen; 06-04-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I might have missed you mentioning it already, but do you have a passenger seat or cowl to put in place?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:12 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014

thank you i just cant seem to find it..lol, yes my friends GSXR750 is like that doesnt read out till 100

Old 06-04-2014, 03:24 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014

Alarms are nice on the bikes i used to install alarm systems all the time when i owned a car audio shop. Only thing with the bike is that it is alot less space and the alarms are meant to cover more area, i got around this by using 2 sensors only.

1. Dual zone Microwave sensor - you need the dual zone because one wire is a trigger that sets off the alarm and the other just maes a chirp or two to warn people that it has an alarm, cut the trigger wire out so that the sensor can not set off the alarm ONLY WARN adjust accordingly on range.

2. Dual Zone shock sensor - works the same as the microwave but by vibrations, set the trigger sensor side only to about 1/4 may vary with sensor brand that way it has to take a decent hit to trigger, set the Warning side about 1/2 this will keep the alarm from sounding falsely due to wind or cars going by but still warn.

Be sure to put the starter kill relay in and place it somewere not easily gotten to and make sure you tape up all the wires thick, after all thieves will steal something that they know they can get easily if they have to work at it they will most likely move on to another.

my personal suggestion is to leave the blinking LED for the alarm out totally, only thing it really does on a bike is attract unwanted attention

hope that helps

Last edited by ambeos5; 06-04-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:03 PM

thanks for the info on alarms. Well putting anything in the tail is pointless, since its so easy to get to. I suppose the next best thing would be to put it under the tank someplace. It's really combersome to take my seat off, so getting to the tank is really hard. But depending on the size of the alarm, im not sure it would go there. I suppose the next best thing would be to put it up in the nose of the bike. I already run a dedicated 12v line there, but it is somewhat exposed. Do these things have a battery backup if someone cuts the line?

JNSRacing, I do have a rear cowl. It's a seat, I had wanted the hard cover, but they are so damn expensive. It's absolutely useless for a second rider, there is no reinforcement under it, that and i have no rear pegs. I have to fashion some hook type contraption to work with the lock on the tail, right now i have a wire attached to the cowl, then i loop it around the bottom frame of the tail. works, but is pretty low-tech.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:51 AM
ROTM, Oct 2014

Some alarms do have battery backup but they are typically the higher end models and you have to have a place for the extra battery they are small but still.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 AM
ROTM, Oct 2014

more pratical way the way i have done it in the past is just to have multiple 12v+ wires going to the alarm from different locations even if one is cut it still has current from the other

for the price this may be worth looking into, have never installed one buts sounds cool if it works as described and would solve the cut power issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Innovati...fa22c8&vxp=mtr

Last edited by ambeos5; 06-05-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 AM

thanks for the info on alarms. I don't really ride the bike anywhere where i cant keep an eye on it. it's too much a toy to leave around. Besides, It's not like its worth it for someone to steal for parts. It's a pretty specific looking bike with mods that likely won't work with others bikes. That being said, it stays pretty cozy in the garage most of the time.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Put the alarm inside the air box and wire the wiring into the main wiring harness.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:14 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014

Originally Posted by nvanvlymen
thanks for the info on alarms. I don't really ride the bike anywhere where i cant keep an eye on it. it's too much a toy to leave around. Besides, It's not like its worth it for someone to steal for parts. It's a pretty specific looking bike with mods that likely won't work with others bikes. That being said, it stays pretty cozy in the garage most of the time.
The alarm control units for bikes are typically very small and can fit most anywere. If you are using a 2-way FM alarm like most do these days you will have to run the antenna wire were it can get good reception. the make them specifiacly for Bike just look around on ebay you can find them pretty easy. If for nothing else just to add another mod to the bike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)