Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

anoying questions that people ask you about your bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: anoying questions that people ask you about your bike

oops, i just typed a scathing reply to the above post, then realized it wasn't directed at me. so often am I a recipient of such a remark, I immediately went on the defensive. Hah.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:59 PM

Haha, all these are awsome. They've been repeated a ton of times, but here I go with the things I hear...
[ol][*]"How fast (have you gone/is that)?" ~I started out answering the question... but I get that "hollow" feeling in my gut that says "Idiot, they don't care, they don't know what that's really like and they don't really care" and, depending on who it is, will either try to 1-up me or just not say anything. So, my response is now "Fast enough" Then grin real big.[*]"You have a headlight out." ~Trick them into looking at it before beemin' em with the brights, or just say "No I don't." That ones the best... they get very adament and confused when they can see one light is out, but you won't agree with them.[*]More of the "Those things are dangerous!" ~Oh... really? You ought to google how many people die each second in a car every day. Your/your moms car is practically a death trap![*]"I had a <insert whatever here> that got <hurt/killed> on a <whatever bike>" ~That's too bad... I feel for you. Has nothing to do with me... and sure, I don't know you and you're wanting a heart to heart moment here, soooo... I'm just gonna go now. [*]"Is that thing like a hi-busa?" ~Yeah, sure.[*]"What kind of bike is that?" ~Started out saying '2007 Honda CBR 600rr'. Yeah... that goes over like giving a calc equation to a first grader. So I shortened it to "Honda cbr 600rr". Nope... the year wasn't what was throwing them off... dumb it down again. "Honda CBR". Now I'm getting some of those "Oh sure, yeah." nods, but you know they've got no idea. ONE MORE TIME... "A crotch rocket". *DING!* They finally follow, but dangit! I set myself up! Here it comes... <insert new stupid comment/question here as a response>. [:@][*]"Is that a 600?" ~Yup.[*]"Why didn't you get a 1000/'hi-busa'?" ~I just smile.[*]"My friend has a blah blah" ~Cool for your friend.[*]"Yeah dude, I totally am going to get one of those! But I want a Gixxer seven fiddy. I want a 1000 but ya know, it's my first bike so, yeah" ~Oh yeah? <insert MSF recommendation here and smaller cc bike> Suddenly they seem uninterested because I'm not fueling their idiocy.[*]"You want that for here or to go? (full gear holding helmet)" ~This one doesn't bother me. I've got a bookbag or something with me, and, it seems, most people around here aren't afraid to strap their food to something and take off.[*]*Getting off my bike at a pit-stop on the freeway on New Years day, Tempeture outside was 28 degrees F, wind chill was about 15* "Are you cold?" ~Yes, I can't feel my face and my fingers burn of hellfire through two sets of gloves.[*]"My dad has a Harley, it's really fast" ~Ooookay?[*]"Can you do a wheelie?" ~Yes[*]"Do a wheelie!" ~Shake my head "no"[*]"You're gonna need new tires soon!" ~This confused me a BUNCH early on, since I could look at the tire and see the deep grooves, eventually I realized it wasn't my mistake, so just started saying "Oh yeah?"[*]"Can I ride it?" ~You got something to trade me if you lay it down?[*]"Hey, I've got a wierd request... I'm a youth pastor at my church, and the guy that I had coming tomorrow is out of town, so I need someone with a motorcycle to come to my church tomorrow and let me ride it." (me) "Huh? As in, you drive it, or as in, you ride on the back? *speaking to an attractive filipino girl here*" (her) Oh, no, just on the back. It'd really help me out!" (me) "*long pause... eh, you only live once* Yeah sure, why not. *thinking- I'm totally going to get stabbed and someones going to steal my bike.*" ~The next day, I got to DRIVE my motorcycle through a church building, in the middle of service and make two laps from the back to the front, then back again, while she (dressed like a

Old 08-24-2007, 02:38 PM

Haha! So I finished that post and drove home. While I'm at my house I change clothes to something cooler and more squid-worthy, and go to adjusting my rear brake pedal (it was just a touch too high and I was worried I was flashing my brakes for no reason on bumps). It's a nice day out, so after I get it adjusted and do a 10mph putt-putt around my block to get the riding feel of my adjustment... I go in, grab my helmet and a tire guage, and take off down a few blocks to the 7 eleven with an air pump. (yes, still squidding it up without a jacket and all the usuals, in a tank-top... but I've got real shoes on and my helmet!)

Anyway, I check my tire pressure and make some adjustments, go in and grab a water, and on my way out... there he is...
"Dude, that you're bike?!" *I look down at my helmet then back at him* "Yup"
"What's the fastest you've had the thing?" *I grin* "Faster than the speed limit."
"Oh yeah? right on, right on. I had an F4 a few years back. Had it down one in the front and up two in the back. I was out in BFE Luther doin' like, 185 when I see this cop come over the hill (*in the mean time I'm smiling and nodding, inching my way towards my bike*), so I go and lock em up man. Smokin' rubber and everything. I'd looked down at my speedometer and was at like, 182 when I just hit it man, went wide open ya know! I had to be doin' like 200 when I'd seen him. Didn't get pulled over though, I got slowed down in time." *Still trying to inch away* "Oh yeah?" *reassuring nod* "That's cool I guess." *blatantly start walking away*
"Anyways man, good talkin' to you man. That's a sweet bike! What year is it?" *I slump my shoulders and turn around* "It's a 2007"
"Yeah, mine was like, a 2002 F4." *nod some more* "Cool"
<insert "goodbye/take it easy" comments here>

Whew! I thought I was done... I go to my bike, put my helmet on, I'm in no hurry. He ends up being parked next to me in a super-beater orange Datsun truck... and he's coming out right as I fire the engine up.
"Hey man! Take it easy man! Hey, do a little wheelie, ya know! Get it on the back wheel!" *makes wheelie hand/body motion*" *shaking my head as I say* "No"
"Aww man, gonna leave me hanging I guess huh bro? <mumble mumble somethin' somethin'>" *I pull out of the parking lot and putt-putt a few blocks home.*

Dude... sure it was my choice to not be all geared up during my few block trip... but I'm sure as hell not going to pull out of the parking lot, cross 2 lanes of traffic, straighten it out, throw it up on the back wheel as I go up to the crest of a hill with a stoplight just on the other side, in a 35mph zone that's KNOWN for being heavily policed for speeding, while I'm in a tank-top. Seriously... [:@]

Okay, All better.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:12 PM

The thing that i hate the most when im on my bike is when you go somewhere and people try to sit on your bike and mess with everything... and i hate it when they say that my 600 is too small...

Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Retired Moderator

I was filling up today (in Oregon it is the law to have someone pump your gas, but they let you pump your own on a bike), and the kid asked me what I was riding. I said a 600, and he said he thought it was a 1000, didn't know about a 600. I said how freaking hot is was, and that I was going home because I was dying (95 at that point...hotter in gear), and he said I shouldn't be wearing a jacket. I politely explained that I would rather sweat that lose my skin (common response). He kind of shook his head yes and proceeded on to his next customer. I'll bet he has never ridden a street bike in his life.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:49 PM

haha, today i got from some lady

"Why do you wear gloves to ride a motorcycle ?"

Old 08-26-2007, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: fuze

haha, today i got from some lady

"Why do you wear gloves to ride a motorcycle ?"

You should have said. "Honey, I always wear protection." Then winked at her.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's funny how similar people are all over.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

on my way to work this morning i was riding next to this car (not intentionally rather they were keeping pace with me) anyways so im up shifting without the clutch and im resting my hand on hip and @ the red light they said to me , " i never knew bikes were automatics!" ... i just laughed it off and rode away when the light turned green

Old 08-26-2007, 02:29 PM

"Is it fast?"
"No"
"Really?"
"Yeah."

"What's that? A 900?"
"No, a six"
"Oh... only a six?"
"You got it. Lowly six"
"My dad wants you to put it on the back wheel when you leave" -dude is sitting in a busted Olds minivan
"You first"
Revs engine
Shake head and ride away

Quick Reply: anoying questions that people ask you about your bike