The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Today's giggle

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

kiwi TK,

The speed of light raises questions.

I have always wondered: If you were running at the speed of light and you turned around and looked back, what would you see?

Would you see yourself running in the past toward you? I think you would see exactly that.

If so, E=MC2, so light is energy and energy has mass, therefore your image that you see when you look back would have mass. If for some reason you decide to slam on the breaks, your previous self having mass, would need some time to stop. By you stopping rapidly and being tailgated by yourself you would ram yourself right up the butt due to lack of reaction time of yourself in the past.

I have been thinking about this for a long time now. Some nights I can't sleep over it. Who would be the blame for damages? You can't file a claim against yourself for damages. If you did would it be a (1) win-win (2) Win-lose (3) lose-win or (4) lose-lose case. Think about it for a while. If you win the case you make out but you also have to pay out because you have lost the case. So who really wins here, you or yourself? <---This one really gets me.

I don't know, I have many more year to think about this one before I can make any sense out of it.

Edit: This thing gets me madder and madder each time I think about it. I hate tailgaters but there I am when I look back, I am right there on my tail. Do I hate myself for it and flip myself off or let it go? It is myself for Pete's sake so should I slam on the breaks to scare myself or what? No wait, that's me, I know what I doing, I have good reaction time. Here goes........SLAM! ...........Right up the ole keister.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 06-16-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:23 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your gonna talk your way into two speeding tickets at this rate TBT

Old 06-17-2011, 05:40 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E=mc²

TBT, your concerns are totally valid and to be fair I'm a little surprised that in such an erudite forum as this that no-one has raised these concerns before.

Still, I guess we all have our own demons and yours has just happened to surface sooner than some.

However I may be able to help allay some of your concerns.

Picture if you will, a rocket taking off from the Town Hall clock at exactly 1:00 pm. As we travel out into space at the speed of light we are always with the light which shows the time being 1:00 pm , whether you look forward or back it is always 1:00 pm so you and yourself are in the same place.

But what happens when we start travelling faster than the speed of light?

We start to catch up with the beam of light that came from the clock at 12:59, then 12:58 etc. You start to get behind yourself. Eventually you will catch up with the beam of light from 8:30 am when your lazy *** was still in bed.

So, you can never run into yourself because the faster you go, the behinder you get.

Sleep well tonight my pretty, secure in the knowledge that you are unlikely to rear end yourself in your sleep.

Disclaimers:

1) I haven't actually figured out what happens when you look back, I think it may well involve lots of swirly kind of cloud like stuff with dragons, but I'll do some more research on that.

2) If my theory is complete crap JHouse will be able to confirm what will happen when you sue yourself. Win or lose he will take a fee from both of you.

One of the few immutable laws of the universe

Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

All good scientists know a good solicitor. It's a natural law of physics, chemistry and probably a built in biological twist that we don't yet and probably never will understand.
But TK...... you have sent a shiver down my spine with your visionary extrapolation. Bloody awesome mate.

Now back to earth, slower than the speed of light...

My neighbour knocked on my door at 2:30am this morning, can you believe that, 2:30am?! Luckily for him I was still up playing my Bagpipes.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:23 AM

Defenition of a true gentleman : someone that knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:45 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

at 2.30 in the AM especially hehe
Anyone remember that the IRISH invented the bagpipes ? Same with whiskey
The Scots just learned to make terrible noises on 'em

Old 06-21-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Anyone remember that the IRISH invented the bagpipes ? Same with whiskey
They clearly need a better marketing campaign than allowing the Scots to steal all their "good" ideas and then claiming them as their own.

Maybe if they spent less time fighting with each other over religion they might have come up with a more effective campaign.

Let the **** fight commence

Old 06-21-2011, 11:29 PM

I once read an incredible book explaining relativity. I understood each point perfectly...until I moved on to the next sentence.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Originally Posted by JHouse
I once read an incredible book explaining relativity. I understood each point perfectly...until I moved on to the next sentence.
I keep feeling the same thing about every new post on this god damned page.
I'm laughing one minute, then forget why immediately I start a new line.
Glad you pointed this out Joe. Just knowing someone else has a modicum of sympathy for my pain and confusion helped me through my tears of ignorance. Cheers mate.

Steve-o, you just made it worse in a big way. I'm thinking Whisky already and it's only 11:00.
I think you would need a taller screen though. Imagine the bugs you'd pick up at 186,000 MPS. They'd hit you like photons, probably pass straight through you. Dunlops may actually be a good idea for a trip like that. You wouldn't feel too bad about chucking them away afterwards, if you hadn't already done it before you set off after you'd arrived.... or something!

Anyway, returning to core values.....

I sat on the train this morning opposite a stunning Thai girl. I kept thinking to myself, please don't get an erection, please don't get an erection...but she did

Quick Reply: Today's giggle