CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

97 F3 wont crank

Old 05-06-2018, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
Sorry for the slow response.
I was out doing the whole Father's Day thing.

I am going to go through the basic test, using my bike as a guinea pig.

Please do the same test in the same order and write down each result.

TEST 1: What is your battery voltage? (Mine is 12.89V)

TEST 2: What is your battery voltage with the key on? (Mine is 12.23V)

TEST 3: What is your battery voltage when you try and crank the engine? (Mine is over 12V)

TEST4: With the key off, what is the voltage at the solenoid's red and red/white wires. Probe the connector, don't poke any wires! (Mine is 12.89 at both)

TEST 5: Put the bike in N, turn on key, put your red volt meter probe to the yellow solenoid wire terminal and put your black volt meter probe to the positive (Red) side of battery and note the voltage. (Mine is -11.9V).

Test 6: Put your bike in 1st gear and the key on, put your red volt meter probe to the green solenoid wire terminal and put your black volt meter probe to the negative (Black) side of battery. With the motor run switch ON, push the starter button in and note the voltage. (Mine is -11.9V).

PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS SOON,as I must put my bike back together once we figure this out.
Hello my name's Charlie and I'm having a problem with my 98 cbr 600 f3 I cleaned the carbs and everything ran great after installing them with new plugs also but I 4got to put a bolt in the gas tank lid when cleaning old gas out from sitting and water got into my tank and ran it not realizing it and it got into my system so tried water remover and cranked and cranked with no luck so I pulled the tank and fuel lines and got any and all I could out and got a better grade gas just in case any water was still in it and after cranking and cranking and jump starting cus all the cranking drained my battery a couple times but finally started only to now not stast at all after riding for half-hour trying to get any water left out and went home turned off now won't start I changed plugs again checked fuel pump starter relay even put new coils in it and a brand new battery and it will crank but even with the new battery which tested good it doesn't seem to be cranking like it should almost like the battery is dead so I tested the rectifier and a diode wasn't registered on my multimeter so got another used one which registered but still cranks like it's not getting enough power so bought a jumper box and still nothing even after getting the battery fully charged. Any helps greatly appreciated.