General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wont crank need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont crank need help

I go a 97 cbr600 f3. when i first got it from my buddy it had no power at all. I got power now and when i go to start it it just clicks. so i went through the bike checked all of the fuses relays. the clutch swith and diod are good. the starter relay solinoid and wires going to the starter are good. the kick stand switch is good. so basicly all of the wiring from the diagram is good. I took the crank case cover off to see if the spindals were turning and it looks like the starter is trying to spin but it cant. now for wuestions. i can spin the gears one way but not the other. they spin clockwise but not countercloskwise " the way the starter is going". normal? second could any of this have to do with the tilt switch or does this year have one? any help will be appreciated.Got a post thinkin the block was hydrolocked and pulled the plugs and tried to turn it and still nothing.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:26 PM

Sounds like a flat or duff battery. You need a fully charged battery to start these bikes. If your battery is a maintainence free one then try charging it overnight and make sure you have around 14.5 volts across the terminals before refitting it to the bike. The starter has a sprag clutch mechanism which allows it to turn one way driving the engine til it starts and then it frees off once the engine is running. Try removing the plugs, putting the bike in gear and then turning it over by turning the rear wheel. If it turns over ok, then it should turn over on the starter if the battery is good. When I first bought my 2002 CBR 600 F1 it would turn over seemingly fast enough, but just wouldn't fire up. I charged the battery overnight and it started up right away the next morning and has been fine since, even if left for a couple of days or more. Let us know how you get on?

Originally Posted by thecoop20
I go a 97 cbr600 f3. when i first got it from my buddy it had no power at all. I got power now and when i go to start it it just clicks. so i went through the bike checked all of the fuses relays. the clutch swith and diod are good. the starter relay solinoid and wires going to the starter are good. the kick stand switch is good. so basicly all of the wiring from the diagram is good. I took the crank case cover off to see if the spindals were turning and it looks like the starter is trying to spin but it cant. now for wuestions. i can spin the gears one way but not the other. they spin clockwise but not countercloskwise " the way the starter is going". normal? second could any of this have to do with the tilt switch or does this year have one? any help will be appreciated.Got a post thinkin the block was hydrolocked and pulled the plugs and tried to turn it and still nothing.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:20 PM

the battery is fully charged i put it in gear and tried to role it with the plugs out and it wont role unless the clutch is pulled in. What now? im lost at this point. also would a wire from the alternator or regulator rectifier being bad caue these kinds of issues.

Last edited by thecoop20; 08-12-2011 at 01:46 PM.