CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked the levels again ... almost not a drop of oil lost in the last 2k miles.... got a metallic knocking noise coming from the lower part of the engine while on tickover when it's hot ( nothing when cold, but the cam chain noise is getting worse slowly), but goes as soon as the revs increase ... no idea what it is at the moment. Working all weekend, and using the bike as transport ..... hope it doesn't get any worse!!!

Hope u all have a great weekend

Old 07-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prolly the oil pump drive chain Shakey - would not get too excited by that just yet.
CCT - well we all know the score with those man

Old 07-28-2012, 03:46 AM
July 2014 ROTM
Default tyre life

Originally Posted by Sprock
wow 1k miles from a metzeler uuuuufffff - which model metz was it ? as that's
most unusual !
Hi,
I expected low mileage from the metz as I had a racetec fitted to cope with the french roads. Wore them out by hard cornering the old roads down through france then blasting on the motorway back for the ferry. Result was shagged edges and flatted centre tread.
Ride was done 1 up with luggage in convoy with a TVR, Merc coupe and Jag XJR.
Tyre may have lasted a bit longer ( a few hundred miles) but with our wet weather (4 weeks of rain) I didn't want to risk it.
Not complaining about the tyre as I expected a short life as its really a race tyre, I just wanted the extra grip on french roads.

Rick

Old 07-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Changed the oil and filter on my 96. 41,419 miles and running like new.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Prolly the oil pump drive chain Shakey - would not get too excited by that just yet.
CCT - well we all know the score with those man
CCT ... yeh, too right Sprock .... bloomin thing is getting worse!

The other noise is like a metallic knock, about every half second or so, on tickover ... comes and goes .... that's what prompted the checking ... I thought maybe there'd been an unnoticed oil loss and it was a big end bearing failing ... but no! It goes away as soon as you blip the throttle, which a big end bearing wouldn't do ...... Oil pump chain, you say????

Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM
July 2014 ROTM
Question tapping or knocking?

Originally Posted by shakey
CCT ... yeh, too right Sprock .... bloomin thing is getting worse!

The other noise is like a metallic knock, about every half second or so, on tickover ... comes and goes .... that's what prompted the checking ... I thought maybe there'd been an unnoticed oil loss and it was a big end bearing failing ... but no! It goes away as soon as you blip the throttle, which a big end bearing wouldn't do ...... Oil pump chain, you say????
Shakey,
can you locate the area of the knocking and is a knock or tap?

Had a problem with mine last year - tapping sound from top end - sticky valve & weak spring - which went away on throttle. If you locate the noise let us all know your findings.
My CCT is getting worse but at 84,000 miles.......

Cheers

Rick

Old 07-28-2012, 04:51 PM
July 2014 ROTM
Thumbs up bit of maintenance

Well, started out removing and cleaning - sidestand switch, clutch switch, kill switch and all other switches just to rectify a starting issue.

While I was at it I also - checked all fluids, tightened chain, replaced front pads, lubed cables, washed her, tightened r/h mirror mount, cleaned and lubed chain, replaced a few worn/old bolts with shiny new ones.

Anyone changed a chain without a chain splitter? Next task is new chain and don't really want to buy a splitter for a one off.

Made excuse for tomorrows ride - "need t ride it to check it all works "

Cheers

Rick

Old 07-28-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bugkiller
Shakey,
can you locate the area of the knocking and is a knock or tap?

Had a problem with mine last year - tapping sound from top end - sticky valve & weak spring - which went away on throttle. If you locate the noise let us all know your findings.
My CCT is getting worse but at 84,000 miles.......

Cheers

Rick

Definate knock from the bottom of the engine, Rick ... Like I said, it comes and goes on tickover, but goes as soon as you touch the throttle. It's a regular metallic knock, about every half second or so on tickover. Virtually no oil used in the last 2k miles..... only does it at normal running temp. Nothing when cold at all. Current mileage on clock is about 25k miles. Other than that and the cct, it runs as sweet as...... Doesn't go if you pull the clutch in, so can't be gearbox related ... it's somewhere in the bottom of the engine ....

Last edited by shakey; 07-28-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil change on the 93 - then a suck ***** job on my cage - nuff said I hate cages

Old 07-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Banned

Swing arm and rear shock back in just now on the 89. Put the swing arm in and forgot to put the bush in on the right side. Take it all back out again find said bush and try and put swing arm back in. An hour later and with some language I can't repeat anywhere let alone here, she is back together. Most of all there is no upwards movement in the rear shock anymore which is why I pulled it apart in the first place......lol. Just going to put the exhaust covers and plastics back on now. Was just looking at the centre stand and have decided it needs a coat of paint. Off to get the wire wheel and drill, strip the old paint off and re paint it.

Its amazing what a lick of paint here and there can do to an old bike.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?