F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2003 CBR F4i no power at WOT/top end & bad idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ECU would be an idea... +1 mnguyen84... Ide swap it out for you but ur a bit far... If you run into not able to find someone with an F4i PM me and we can work out something with the ECU

Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
it seems like the only thing left is the ecm. if you know someone with an F4i, try swapping it out and see.
The other night I dug a bit deeper and found some oil in my MAP sensor 5T lines, it seemed like it could have been clogged. I took off the lines and cleaned them up with some seafoam, cleaned velocity stacks and throttle bodies. Hooked it all back up. My lovely lady moved my FPR hose clamps somewhere when I set them in the kitchen, so now that is holding me back from putting my tank back on. We'll see what happens, it'll be a long shot. If this doesn't help, I'm taking it to another guy which was recommended to me. I also plugged my PCIII back in, never found a short to the TPS when it was plugged in.

The more input the better!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you think your lack of power could be do to clutch slippage?

Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
do you think your lack of power could be do to clutch slippage?
No, I've had slipping clutches before in many different vehicles and I know when I give it throttle it should slip and possibly return to RPM once it catches or gets done slipping. Also it has run fine before and then stops running so great out of nowhere.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by daetok
The other night I dug a bit deeper and found some oil in my MAP sensor 5T lines, it seemed like it could have been clogged. I took off the lines and cleaned them up with some seafoam, cleaned velocity stacks and throttle bodies. Hooked it all back up. My lovely lady moved my FPR hose clamps somewhere when I set them in the kitchen, so now that is holding me back from putting my tank back on. We'll see what happens, it'll be a long shot. If this doesn't help, I'm taking it to another guy which was recommended to me. I also plugged my PCIII back in, never found a short to the TPS when it was plugged in.

The more input the better!
Other than vacuum hose, you might also want to check fuel filter. Have you consider that?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 AM

Prior in the post I mentioned that I had a new fuel filter on order. So I did replace the fuel filter. Last night my brother and I put my tank back on, took it for a ride, still running like crap. I don't understand it, the only other thing I can think of is maybe disconnecting my power commander and seeing what happens. But, after this much work, I don't even know anymore. Not the FPR, not the fuel filter, not the plugs, not vacuum lines, not the TPS, not the MAP, not timing, not the air filter, not the battery. I checked the temperature of my header, each exhaust pipe is roughly the same temperature. No FI lights. I'll be putting on a new chain, perhaps chain lag is the whole issue? We'll have to see. Tomorrow I'm taking it in to get my new Diablo Rosso II's mounted and balanced and I might just have the guy install my chain.

When I checked up with this new mechanic he said he would recheck my timing and make sure I still have clearance and such, so, if anything I hope he finds out whats up.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:08 PM

Ill run the issue by my mechanic and see if he has any ideas... He ran an F4i for a few years on the track and may have come across this... Will post up after picking my bike up from him

Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM

So I took the bike in and had my Diablo Rosso II's put on and my D.I.D. chain installed. Shaun at Black Label over here in Springfield, OR said he didn't notice anything strange when he took my bike for a spin after installing my tires and chain. He said he'd check my bike out if I still feel its giving me issues. My brother rode it and said it feels fine. Maybe I am going crazy, but, I really don't think so. Felt a little better after chain install but I haven't had time to extensivley ride. I watch my infant son on my days off, so, no real free time to ride. Also been running some Seafoam through the gas tank and we'll see where that goes.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:45 PM

So I took it back in to Shaun at Black Label Powersports. He's supposed to take it for a ride and if he notices something off he should go through my bike trying to figure out whats going on. He didn't call me yesterday after he supposedly rode it, so I figured thats good news. We'll see where this goes maybe some time next week.