CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 04:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Changed Alternator Chain Damper today. Not the most fun job but at least the bike starts. Used part hopefully will keep going. $290 in Australia compared to $90US. Thanks to those who gave me advice.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!

i am searching for a stator for my 1990 CBR 1000f can anyone on here help me please? i am at wits end on this have been searching for 6 months

Old 03-20-2019, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have a look at this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stator-Wi...4AAOSwTwtcd9gC
and
https://zsf-motorrad.de/de/Ersatztei...E-10-GENERATOR

Last edited by CaBaRet; 03-20-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm such a lurker...

Old 04-03-2019, 09:26 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The snow is almost gone so fired her up and went for a ride to put some juice in the battery that was sitting during winter.
She fired up after 1 1/2 turns of the crank. I can't say enough about lithium-ion batteries. Got them in all 3 bikes and all fired up quickly after sitting for 6 months.
Once again she put a huge smile on my face. She is an amazing ride for her age.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:53 AM
Default de winterizing

so guys been sorting out the old girl
so far
ultrasound cleaned carbs
changed all plugs as fouled
changed ht lead nr 3
cleaned and polished the whole bike
mr muscle the wheels and discs with stiff brush and tooth brush in the spider casting as they were ingrained with brake dust on the white paint
rebuilt front calipers due to the alloy corroding under the seals and the salts seizing the seals to the pistons ( 3rd time ive done this )
polished the pistons as they were embedded with seal rubber
rounded off the base of the pistons - why you may ask???
because over time they corners that were originally round square off and then you catch the seals on the way back in and shear the edges
i did this will 600 grit wet and dry with very light pressure and rotating as i moved the piston across the paper
now they are rounded and smooth as a babys bottom and with a little help from silicone grease the pistions slide in with finger pressure
cleaned out the upper reservoir as it was full of tiny metal shavings , used a suction bottle and nib to do this
changed the caliper hanger rubbers and used silicone on the shafts so they slide nicely ( not too much or they lock up )
note the hanger is also made of aluminium and the surface under the stainless clip corrodes and swells this causing the pad backing to bind on the pin
you need to remove the clip and remove all the corrosion and put a bit of copperslip there to stop it starting off again
filled the brake system so the pistons were fully out and then pushed back for a reverse bleed as a forward bleed takes too much time
once all the air is out then bled in clean fluid
so not the brakes are possibly better than new

today also went to Rotterdam to see a cbr95 model with claimed only 15000 km but when i got there the bike looked like it had need around the clock and was a 115000 km and there was a lot of work to do to get it shipshape , so offered 500 eur but they wanted 1000 so walked on by

next will be doing a bit of abs repair as it gets brittle over the years and some lugs are failing
im going to try the jb original as it seems to stick like s--t to a blanket
cheers
paul

now the brakes are free

Old 04-04-2019, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any pictures Paul, done quite a lot of ABS welding over the last couple of years, these plastics are really getting very brittle

Old 04-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Could always put a couple tubes of two-part structural adhesive on em. Flexibility, adhesion, and zero shrinkage. I still feel like epoxies are a little too rigid for ABS, but polyurethane is horrible to sand, so it's kind of a 'choose your own poison' situation. I stay away from anything they sell at a hardware store though. Gotta go upmarket to find the good stuff. 3M's Automix and Norton's Speedgrip are two of my go-to's

The only people who are gonna see the backside of my panels are the wreckers, and hopefully that won't be for many, many years

Old 04-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yesterday I officially started reassembly of all the fairings and other misc bits that I didn't bother with last year. Managed to find a pair of vintage OEM '1000' decals too, but want to get the paint looking really good before I commit. So far the paint is looking mostly good except left-hand panel and lower cowl won't be winning any awards, and might get redos depending on whether I'd rather ride on something imperfect, or continue working on something until it is. Either way it's progress...

Old 04-05-2019, 02:10 PM

today repaired the lhs side cover rubber boot support as it had failed underway and lost the plastic tag and the rubber boot ( no longer available
make up the tag with my repair powder and cyano and then made a book out of epp foam not as nice as the rubber but does the job and isnt visible anyway
maybe one day ill make a plaster cast of the boot and cast some using silicone

then attacked a crap jop a honda mechanic had done years ago by gluing the rocker cover seal to the rocker cover
the cover was peeing out oil over the motor and inner fairing
took me about 90 min to clean out the groove in the cover and then clean up the seal
used a tiny amount of gasket sealant to mate the flat side of the seal to the head
we will see what happens now

ill need to replace the 8 flat o rings as they are now very hard and serve no purpose

discovered another lug failure on the rhs fairing near the carbs
the parts had flown away so ill have to mould some more

later ill put my recently ultrasound cleaned carbs on

i went to rotterdam yesterday to see a 95 cbr at jet cars ( bunch of turns selling anything on wheels )but it was stored outside with pigeon droppings here and there
an even sorrier sight if you like harleys was 2 rows away there were 2 sportsters under a beam and they had 2" of bird poo on them
i should have taken a pic
anyway didnt buy the cbr as they wanted 1000 eur for it and it would need about 700 eur spending on a refurb to get it right
now looking in germany at cbr1100xx they are now quite cheap , about 2000 eur for a clean one
by the way how to upload pics with the subs ???

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?