CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AMSOIL929
Did some research today... Looks like I might need to replace the starter clutch. It there anyway I can diagnos this without having to pull it since in order to pull it I have to disassembel the engine...?
Forgive me if this has been addressed but are you referring to the alternator damper? That will make a crank crank whine and a no start situation... I did mine right after I got it and it was really easier than I though (and VERY common on these bikes). There's a great sticky in the how to section on it.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I originally thought it was the Starter clutch. It is a bearing that will only turn in one direction and then lock up when turned the other way. But now after doing some more research and finding the alternator damper R&R site, I figured that the clutch is good and the damper is bad. The damper has some play in the shaft which makes me believe it is bad. I already ordered a new one so once it comes in the mail I will be putting everything back together. If I still have issues then I will replace the clutch as well since it is way easier. It comes right out with the alternator.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 PM

made up a couple brackets to mount some mirrors, was going to make the bracket to get rid of the secondary master cylinder (delinked my brakes and just plugged the smc, worked perfectly fine) but as I was removing it I noticed a way to use existing brackets there to hold the calipers right where I needed them. Saved me some time and cutting and it looks good enough for me. Then I made up a couple little janky brackets to hold my front brake lines in place and keep them from possibly rubbing the tire or anything. Pretty productive day after work

Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by hillbilly86
I'd have to pull the carbs again to get a pic and I really don't feel like having to pull them again at the moment, dead from work. Mine are located about center of each carb towards the front (towards the cylinders). They're very easy to overlook, there's a round metal piece sticking out that they're recessed into. To be completely honest the easiest and best way to get to all 4 and adjust them is to pull the carbs. #3 and #4 I could get to with a small screwdriver no problem, #1 was a pain in the *** but I got it adjusted with the carbs on, but #2 was impossible for me to get to. All the numbering is if you're sitting on the bike looking at the carbs
Name:  IMG_20130628_221611_zpscf70de30.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  114.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20130628_221626_zps761fe463.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  143.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20130628_221643_zps5c845a43.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  112.8 KB

So where do I adjust the pilot jets?

Last picture carbs are upside down cause the cables are still attached.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:57 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Originally Posted by AMSOIL929

So where do I adjust the pilot jets?
Bottom screw is the bowl drain screw, just above that and to the right in your picture is the pilot adjustment screw.

Set at 2.5 turns out, that's 360, 360, 180 degrees.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Name:  IMG_20130628_221643_zps5c845a43.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  112.8 KB

center of the top (actually the bottom since you've got 'em upside down) you have that ridge line. Follow that all the way back to the other side and there will be a piece sticking out, you'll see a screw (d shaped head, no flat or phillips head) recessed into it, that's where mine are and I've not pulled my carbs in a while. I've had a bunch of other projects going on with the bike and had completely forgotten about this, I apologize about that man. As for the one on the side it may be the pilot adjustment screw on yours but it wouldn't make sense to me for them to be located there cause you'd have to separate the carbs just to adjust #1-#3, but I'm not sure about that one, hope this helps ya

Last edited by hillbilly86; 06-29-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Bottom screw is the bowl drain screw, just above that and to the right in your picture is the pilot adjustment screw.

Set at 2.5 turns out, that's 360, 360, 180 degrees.
If you look really closely you can see a small tab on the very top of that screw. It keeps it from rotating all the way around. I thought that this might be the pilot adjust screw so I set them all to the center ( tab straight up and down).

Old 06-29-2013, 08:44 PM

Went for a ride this morning only to be stranded in town. At some point I'd say in the past couple days my voltage regulator decided to go out on me and when I pulled up to a red light this morning and pulled in the clutch it died. Got a ride home and charged the battery and then went and got it. All the shops near me close at about noon so I had no options for getting a new one for my bike. Fortunately I'm good with almost anything electrical and know how to read a wiring diagram with no problem. My friends dad who lives above me has a 1980 yamaha xs1100 he's parting out so I went to his house and he let me just have the voltage regulator off it. After about an hour of looking over the wiring diagram for his bike and my bike I figured up which wires should go to which. Hillbilly ingenuity almost always prevails, she's working perfectly. Probably not the prettiest since there's wires running from the connector for the stock regulator to the connecter on my "new" regulator, but it's charging my battery just as it should and was able to get another hour and a half of riding in before the sun started dropping behind the mountains

Old 06-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by hillbilly86
Went for a ride this morning only to be stranded in town. At some point I'd say in the past couple days my voltage regulator decided to go out on me and when I pulled up to a red light this morning and pulled in the clutch it died. Got a ride home and charged the battery and then went and got it. All the shops near me close at about noon so I had no options for getting a new one for my bike. Fortunately I'm good with almost anything electrical and know how to read a wiring diagram with no problem. My friends dad who lives above me has a 1980 yamaha xs1100 he's parting out so I went to his house and he let me just have the voltage regulator off it. After about an hour of looking over the wiring diagram for his bike and my bike I figured up which wires should go to which. Hillbilly ingenuity almost always prevails, she's working perfectly. Probably not the prettiest since there's wires running from the connector for the stock regulator to the connecter on my "new" regulator, but it's charging my battery just as it should and was able to get another hour and a half of riding in before the sun started dropping behind the mountains
High five to you!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance of a pic of the XS RR wiring setup ?

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?