CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Good to hear Missynet,

Have you checked that your fan is working? Particularly important in the stop start of Cities.

Cheers, SB

Old 07-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Any Jobs going where you are Shadow?

I detest the cold. The only reason I live here is because it is close to my kids. And the fact that for 8-9 months of the year it is perfect and has some of the best motorcycling roads right outside my door! But apart from that............

Cheers, SB
Country's in a depression ATM but with your background....... I'll check and get back to you.
There is one other problem 35-40C HEAT in summer combined with 90% humidity. We ride between 05.00 and 09.30 or in the late afternoon. It's been as high as 48C on my verandah. Winter hardly ever gets below 6C, and if you like sea swimming you can do that all year round.
You may find this interesting
South African Tourism - KwaZulu-Natal
As for the roads, well...........................backroads are a bit nasty with potholes and indigenous wildlife - having seen Botswana you know the drill.
For the rest it's excellent. Cops are more tolerant here than in Oz ....(my younger son lives there - Perth) All in all maybe you should visit - always a bed and a meal for a friend. (last time I had 11 Norwegians sleeping all over the house) hehe. Wife is very tolerant of us bikers - rides herself ya see

Please excuse the threadjack - just answering a question

And I think Missynet may have a thermostat problem - perhaps stuck, corroded or something as well as fan issues SB. Hard to tell from 10000 miles away.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah if I was MissyNet - I'd fit a manual fan switch - have it on all my bikes

Old 07-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fixed my tail light (A)

About the heating.. well as I said it heated up and cooled down like 4 times.. it doesnt go to the red marking on screen... maybe 4 millimeters before it and it starts cooling... It was tough traffic tough.. like 3 m forward and stop and so.. I just should of pressed gas a bit more would of made it fine.. Blond joke here LOL
Fan s working otherwise and here it is not allowed to make two roads to three like have seen in youtube vids... otherwise would of been no problem..

One of my friend suggested head gasket... possible?

Last edited by Sprock; 07-03-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: use the edit button / dbl post
Old 07-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Missynet
One of my friend suggested head gasket... possible?

It is possible Missynet, but I would expect any or some symptoms like, hard to start, water levels dropping in the radiator, extended amounts of steam coming from the exhaust, perhaps oil in the radiator water, water/coolant boiling.

If it remains cool while on the open road and doesn't use any water I'd be looking at fan not switching on early enough.

From what you described a couple of mails up, It sounds like it was tough traffic conditions and most bikes would find that taxing.

Sprock's suggestion of a manual over-ride switch for the fan is a good one.

Cheers, SB

Old 07-03-2012, 05:17 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Missynet
Made it back from my 950 Mile ride and only two things got wrong...

one direction light wire is out from its nest witch I managed to push back and work while on stand but as soon as we move it shakes it self off from the nest so thats my todays assignment

Second was overheating when I got off the ship..
I ve riden allmost 2000 miles this season and havent had to add the cooling liquid... te meter does not go to red... a bit before that starts blowing hot air.. it heated up and cooled down like 4 times... took me 30 minutes to get allmost out from the city.. and then.. under the last light gess what.. I didnt press enough gas and we sat ther for 15 minutes until she cooled down.. Not some big problem but a bit worrieing..

But so far we are cool
I'd flush the system/reverse flush the radiator and replace coolant with new.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got busy for an hour or two today

Rebuilt carbs with new jet kits went on the 93 - esay cheesy - that took all of 20 mins
thanks to my old friend TimBucTwo's quick and easy methods Thanks C

While I was there I did the stick coils upgrade having just done the valves and valve
cover gasket the other day.

Pulled the left "plug" on the exhaust collector box to fit the second pipe tomorrow.

Then a sync and balance will be needed to get here squared away to resume commuting
to work next week.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought her a new stick on watch.

Had her out to check the new brakes. They fade easy, oh well.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i spent almost 4 hours polishing 1 muffler on my cbr. almost done with it gotta pick up more buffing wheels tomorow then start on the other side.

it went from a grayish, satin, completely unreflective. to a near mirror finish.

yoshi pipes btw. ill try and take pics tomorow but its kinda hard to show the finish

Old 07-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Well, a big 48 hours. Close to 1600 km driven to Melbourne and return to collect a microscope and some Yoshimura pipes for the CBR1000F.

Caught up for lunch with Naga-Thai at Brunswick and learned a great deal about the Honda. Spent a very pleasant afternoon in his company. Also went to a mate's private workshop where they were working on very expensive vintage automobile machinery.

As with the above post I'll take pictures when the sun is higher - and the frost has melted off the rear lawn. My intention is the keep 'the look' of the CBR by painting the Yoshis with heat black. You can use the original covers (a requirement for me).

Cheers, SB

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?