CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny over here when one refers to " fantastic hooters"
it generally involves a woman in some way

But I guess every exception proves the rule

That's a great hooter.........................

And y'all are most welcome

Old 05-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JHouse
I walked by mine today and looked at the cat footprints in the dust on it. Damn, I'm obviously too busy.
MAN...I couldn't live like that!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beats elephant footprints in the dust on it!

Old 05-24-2011, 04:21 PM

As I was annoyed by a small, but constant loss of oil, I searched for a leak (wich I couldn't find).
So I began cautiously re-tightening the bolts on one part at a time, cleaning the leaked oil off the engine afterwards, taking at least a 10 mile ride, and looking for dripping oil again.

Couldn't find were it came from, until I tried tightening the hex bolts in the little 3-bolt cover that's in front of the clutch cover.
Now, the oil was dripping out at a much faster rate, so I knew I got it... it was either a split gasket, or a crack in the small cover or the block itself.
Took off both the the little cover and the clutch cover, and found out that there were NO gaskets there, only old, dark and hardened remnants of cheap fluid gasket... no wonder it was leaking!
The clutch cover even had old bits of the original gasket still stuck to the engine side of the contact areas, what a tool that guy must have been!

So I pulled out the battery powered drill, attached a soft steel wire wheel to it, and stuffed the block with clean pieces of cloth to stop debris and pieces of steel wire from getting into the crankcase.
After a good clean up, I applied some new fluid gasket (the best I could get in the area) and put it all back together.
Having it standing to let the fluid gasket dry for a while, I sprayed degreaser on the engine, hosed it down, and set it aside for the night.
Hopefully, after test riding again tomorrow, I have no more oil leaking from my engine!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PICs etc

Has all the makings & features of an epic "how to" ---- Doc ! ------
Have the cam/vid ready to roll .......never happened unless there's pics

Rain stopped play here today , so I just warmed both bikes up and put the
chargers on them ......... freaking weather stinks here atm

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
I've got a 2003 R6 front end coming to do a swap. I don't have a wheel or the brakes yet, so the actual swapping is a little ways off, but I can't wait to get it together. I'm prolly gonna top -em with a set of the Apex adjustable clip-ons I posted about elsewhere...also a tubular bar conversion is possible...haven't decided yet.

I'm pretty excited to have a huge upgrade in stiffness, suspension action and feel, and better/non-linked brakes. I'll be sure to post on my progress as soon as I get all of the parts together.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 AM

When I got home the other day he was dumping coolant out the over flow on the coolant tank, and I could hear bubbling as well. Thinking the worst (blown head gasket) I was freaking out. Turns out that there was so much corrosion on the tstat housing where the cap seated that it had deformed the gasket and was not holding any pressure in the system at all. PI$$!

Searched Roy Ayers and Servicehonda, $119.00 for a new tstat housing!

Enter ebay and found a complete housing in excellent shape with a new cap on it for a "make offer" listing. Figured what the heck and popped in $10.00. I won it and am now awaiting it and my petcock rebuild kit to arrive!

Ahhhh, the perils of owning a 21 year old bike, and why stored bikes are not always better than ridden bikes.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Very cool pics, jayjay. Looks like you're giving her a worthwhile tune-up there.

I didn't work on the CBR at all yesterday, but I cleaned her all up and took her out on a date to a bike night.
Then last night I tore the carbs out of my VF750. They're in pieces all over the coffee table. I think I'm just gonna jet it and be done. I can't believe the size jets that are in there. The EPA sucks.
Then I'm gonna slot the mix screws and set them up the way they should be.... then I'm gonna add an inline fuel filter.
Hello, for some reason my previous login does not seem to work anymore? I use my FB login now. All the pictures are in my folder http://jlaitila.1g.fi/kuvat/Misc/Toys4boys/CBR_1000F/

I will try to get my dynochart scanned also here now that dynojet kit has been installed. We have now 110,5bhp which is something about 130-140 from crank. Compared to similar model with Laser exhaust (in same dyno) I ahve only 1bhp less and also my torque is more straight forward without any gaps.

DynoChart

Last edited by Sprock; 05-26-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: dbl posting
Old 05-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Default Lubed up the chain.........

Started commuting again , summer is almost here, beautiful ride down to
MAssachusetts with my new handlebar setup on the 1990 silver bullet.

Most of the enjoyment was in blasting by all the "Farm Equipment" (aka Harleys )

Life is Good

Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
Most of the enjoyment was in blasting by all the "Farm Equipment" (aka Harleys )
Funny you should say that, for years I have called them Harley Fergusons.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Funny you should say that, for years I have called them Harley Fergusons.

LOL ....... very good Tim ....two thumbs up man

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?