Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Highway riding in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode all through the winter, thankfully its now starting to get warmer. Main problem I found was keeping warm. My heated grips were on full all the time! A good thick, well fitting frank thomas jacket fairly kept me cosy. One thing though that was pure misery. I got soaked on the commute home, couldnt pull over in time to get my waterproofs on. 15 miserable miles later I come to the final roundabout to find my heated hands could only just pull the levers. The pain in my legs when I stopped and stood up was intense to say the least!

Most of it involved riding very slowly until I reached the main, gritted roads. When approaching a junction, heading in a straight line. To get an idea of the grip Id blip the rear brake to see if the rear would lock. At higher speeds I used to give it some to see If I could get the rear to go. I once got the rear to spin in 5th at around 30mph, that was a cold night.

Bring on the sun!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Preid
I rode all through the winter, thankfully its now starting to get warmer. Main problem I found was keeping warm. My heated grips were on full all the time! A good thick, well fitting frank thomas jacket fairly kept me cosy. One thing though that was pure misery. I got soaked on the commute home, couldnt pull over in time to get my waterproofs on. 15 miserable miles later I come to the final roundabout to find my heated hands could only just pull the levers. The pain in my legs when I stopped and stood up was intense to say the least!

Most of it involved riding very slowly until I reached the main, gritted roads. When approaching a junction, heading in a straight line. To get an idea of the grip Id blip the rear brake to see if the rear would lock. At higher speeds I used to give it some to see If I could get the rear to go. I once got the rear to spin in 5th at around 30mph, that was a cold night.

Bring on the sun!
Cold rain running down the back edge of the fuel tank and under the, uh, man parts, is not something I wish on anyone. I commute on my bike 99% of the time, and the CBR does a much better job deflecting the spray around me than my old GZ 250 did. But when it's pouring, it doesn't help much.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked these up about a month ago and can't say enough about them.

I've been caught in the rain a few times, once with the wind whipping around 20 knots and it was probably 50 degrees. Kept my man parts dry and warm! (my hands were another story... I need some warmer gloves!!)

Old 03-13-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by chetman7
wait til the summer when it'll hit 100+ degrees in phoenix..then who will be suffering lol
bro i go to HVCC in albany/troy and ride up from exit 18/new paltz what school u at.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:44 PM

Woo, good luck. I hope you're keeping your hands warm and toasty. You won't be able to recover from anything if you have cold hands that are detracting from your dexterity.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:59 AM

well
when its cold alll the moisture condenses and hence the roads get a lil bit wet
so its quite natural to lose the track at sharp turns
so the thing is to slow a bit and then after the turn accelerate

this trick works with me
and ya dun clutch while turning