General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 cbr600 f3 dies while riding on highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 cbr600 f3 dies while riding on highway

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and need some help from fellow riders with a problem I am experiencing. I bought it as my first bike about two months ago but due to some issues(tint on headlights and no license plate light) had trouble getting it inspected and registered. I was able to ride it short distances about once a week(cops out heavy where I am and had no plate) but just got it inspected and registered this past Friday. I live 30-40 mins from where I was keeping the bike so on Friday night I was gonna finally ride her home. It was fine for the first like 20 mins, I was going about 75 and went to accel some more around an 28 wheeler when I noticed it stopped pulling and right after that it died. I wasnt able to start it and had to pay 200 to get it towed. When I got it home we noticed my battery was pretty much dead so we trickle charged it the next day and she started just fine. Went out on a test ride and hit 95 just fine, prolly could have gone more but as I said I'm new so that was pretty fast for me. Rode it around town all that day just fine, but I went for one last test run on the highway that night and again while pulling past 75~ it started to stop pulling and died on me. Im really hoping it's something simple as this is my first bike and it's killing me not being able to ride.

Some things I should point out are:

1.I don't know for sure whether on my my reserve tank or not as my switch has no labels and everyone I talk to says different things.

2. After it died the second time I also noticed I had veryyy little gas in the tank.

3. I don't know if this is an issue but I fiddled with the wires under my tail light in order to get my led plate bolts working

Any help is appreciated and I'm sorry for my first post to be so long, I just need some help and have been coming up empty. Thanks in advance guys!

Old 06-08-2011, 04:15 PM

I figured out the petcock problem thanks to a thread on here lol

Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

You said that you trickle charged it and it ran fine after that. When it died the second time and you had it towed, what was the condition of the battery charge after you got home ? While you were waiting on the tow truck, were you able to attempt to start it ? Meaning it was turning over, but not starting. Did it seem like a dead battery again ?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:16 PM

Hey thanks for the reply, I may have said it wrong, I was towed the first time and the second time I had my father in law grab me since I was very close. While waiting for the truck I did try and start it, it did like you said and just would not turn over, and eventually it got sluggish and then just didn't make any sound. When we got it home I charged it and it started fine the next day

Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 PM

Same thing second time, although it didn't get as sluggish, second time just happened about 15 minutes faster than last. It sounds like it wants to start and sometimes I hear a rumble but It won't turn over. I'm assuming because of the gas situation right now though

Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 PM

could be a problem in your charging system, possibly a bad battery its self

Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 PM

My first assumption was that it was just a bad battery, but I have been told by a couple people that it couldn't be the battery?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1 Battery condition
2 Regulator/rectifier
3 generator/stator/alternator
3 Insufficient gas in that order. It's a typical 1000F problem, so we can diagnose it quickly.

Hmmmmm ShadowFETUSI didn't know I had a child across the pond ?

Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 AM

Haha indeed you do it seems >.< so there is a possibility it's only my battery and it was just bad timing the second time? I can replace it tomorrow at like auto zone or o'rielies if needed.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:39 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Indeed it could..........
How long has the battery been in there ?
I'd check the reg/rec if it happens again.
Put a voltmeter across the battery when it's running above 3000RPM and you should get 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Anything below that MEANS MAYBE THE REG/REC IS GOING OR HAS GONE.
What about your fuel pump - working OK ?

Have a nice day, son hehe
How do I explain this to my wife.....................um.............
Or my other "son" Shadowfax LOL

Quick Reply: 96 cbr600 f3 dies while riding on highway