F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Highway riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highway riding

When I'm on the highway, the wind feels like its going to make me lean over and dump the bike, is it a normal feeling to have the wind moving me to where I lean alot? Any tips?

Old 05-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Default RE: Highway riding

How hard is the wind ??? get's windy sometimes when I ride on the freeway, or out on the desert side, if its too windy fer ya just tuck down, dont make such a big target for the wind, but I havent had it hard enough to push me over, or make me lean too hard to compensate.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:03 AM

Dam man, The other day I was rid'n home from work, The fukn wind was blowing dust so hard I thought my bike was gonna fly away, it felt sooo light but I only weigh in around 130. My bike was lean'n big time, all the traffic behind me were waiting to see me eat it.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:34 AM

ha! thats exactly how I felt, same with the ppl behind me were just waiting for me to wipe out. The wind is ok from the front but the sides are the worst, I'm a relatively new rider so maybe thats what it is, maybe I'll get used to it. I'd say it was about 30mph on the right side, and the wind changes directions on some spots on the highway.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:51 AM

Yup, took a while to get used to. I never used to ride on the highway with just one hand in case a suddent gust of wind, but now i'm more comfortable, but still 2 hands on windy days. But going over a bridge can be nasty sometimes. I usually stay in the middle or the right if its THAT windy, That way i'll ride closer to the shoulder and have more room for me to go back and forth. But just don't get scared, go with the wind a lil and then lean back. If the wind hits you and right away you try to lean back, you might have some problems because of sudden movements. Just bring it back NICE and SLOW to the middle. You've got more room on the road than you think. Sometimes the wind blows at me in the front so hard, i tend to ride behind a vehicle, i don't mean tailgating them, like a good couple of car lengths behind them, it makes a world's difference sometimes. Or just check the weather to see how windy it is, if you're new to the road, don't take the bike out when its 20+ and you can see all the trees going crazy

Old 05-19-2006, 09:56 PM

I may be way off....but Im a fairly new rider and I had issues on the hwy the first few times as well, I noticed when I slowed down it got worse, so I actually tucked down a little and accelerated and it almost went away, then when I sat back up and went back to normal speed it didnt seem as bad. It was like my body got used to the higher speed and when I went back to the speed limit it felt normal...hope that helps if any