Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Highway riding in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highway riding in the cold

It's not quite freezing around here, but the random damp spots still have me a bit worried. If I keep it maintenance throttle around a highway bend at highway speeds and happen to hit a slick spot and my bike slides a bit, is there anything I can do to maintain my line once I regain traction or am I thinking in too much of "car" terms for this to actually happen?

I haven't quite ventured to the twisties, but I would like to take random rides to get my kicks until the weather permits me to do some really fun riding.

Any additional tips for cold weather riding and riding through the wet would be swell.

Replica Dolce & Gabbana Shoes

Retail Air Force One Shoes

Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't chop the throttle if your rear slides out. That will send directly over the handle bars in worse case scenario.
Steady throttle and good posistioning and you will be fine.

I commute 95% of the time rain or shine as long as it is at least around 0 degrees.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me its that I am taking really easy on entering a curve,

Important also to know the road you are riding on.

Most highways are clean but side roads, I dont go if theres over 3 meters are covered with ice, Tryed it out, was a bad idea cause you cant push the bike over it sitting on it and really difficult holding it up on ice when you dont have proper footware. So steady there, avoid those places..

On highway Didnt have any problems, was -2 when started the trip and pluss 5 when passed 300 km, Freezing but thats was way home

Stops at every possible place you find hot coffee and you will be fine

VERY memorable trip!!

Ouh and take care of the neck ferralllyy