CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Highway riding in the cold (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/highway-riding-cold-106622/)

raylee 03-02-2010 07:26 AM

Highway riding in the cold

It's not quite freezing around here, but the random damp spots still have me a bit worried. If I keep it maintenance throttle around a highway bend at highway speeds and happen to hit a slick spot and my bike slides a bit, is there anything I can do to maintain my line once I regain traction or am I thinking in too much of "car" terms for this to actually happen?

I haven't quite ventured to the twisties, but I would like to take random rides to get my kicks until the weather permits me to do some really fun riding.

Any additional tips for cold weather riding and riding through the wet would be swell.

mariof 03-02-2010 07:04 PM

counter steering a bike is nothing like a car. i would easy off the power and by that i mean pull in the clutch and attempt to ride it out. earlier this year when i was riding back to CT from RI there was a snow storm a few days before but the roads were clear. there was one straight that got a snow drift and i didnt see it until it was too late. the engine braking alone caused my back tire to lock up (slower than the road). i pulled the clutch and maintained my balance. but i didnt have much control of which direction i was headed. anyways... i will never ride out in those conditions again. stay away from highspeeds in this weather. spring will soon be here

CBR300 03-02-2010 08:33 PM

That's a GOOD tip right there. You also got to watch out for sand/dirt spots too. A buddy and I were riding ona road we didn't know, and I was riding behind him his rear locked up and he almost ate it. He kind of took control using what I saw a drift of some sort and balanced out his bike. So you just got to becareful..
Also one of my other buddies gave me a tip when you ride on a particular road take a cruise up and see the condition the road is in and on your way back you know what to expect. Be safe

Shadowfax 03-02-2010 11:59 PM

Also good advice about checking it out first! I do that Every Spring. I Drive my car, actually, first, then ride.

To answer your question: just don't freak and grab a Handful O' Breaks, or you'll highside the minute you clear the ice. Close the throttle and try to hold your line as well as possible. If it is only a Momentary loss of traction, you might live to tell about it. Anything longer than a moment: be prepared for a lowside.

Now for my advice: stay off the bike until you KNOW all the ice is off the roads: Patience will keep you safer than skill.

raylee 03-03-2010 02:22 AM

Well, I took a quick spin after work on some country roads by my school. No real drama, but it gets higher and higher in elevation the deeper you head into the mountains. The first sign of "that white spot actually looks like unmelted snow" i just turned around and headed back home.

I've pretty much killed that instinct to slam the brakes at the first sign of trouble if my bike is at all sliding or leaned, but thanks for the advice. I've only slid a bike a couple times in my life and I'm pretty sure it was my novice-like slow reaction that saved my life on both accounts.'

Damned patience... I actually used to like the winter.

WhiteKnite 03-04-2010 09:27 AM

Wow you guys Still have snow up there? It has been in the 50s and 60s the last few weeks down here, almost constant rain though.

raylee 03-05-2010 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteKnite (Post 889524)
Wow you guys Still have snow up there? It has been in the 50s and 60s the last few weeks down here, almost constant rain though.

Yeah, this snow business is real crap, but it's been raining all day today so I'm hoping the last of it washes away with whatever sand/salt is lingering. It's supposed to be nice and sunny tomorrow just long enough for me to ride to a shop and get the last few bits of my "just bought a used bike" maintenance done with.

NYKnick1015 03-05-2010 10:18 AM

the snow has been melting alot lately but hopefully i can get back on the road soon... i am real hesitant on taking the thruway around me so when i do ride, im gonna stick to local roads and take the LONG way... better safe then sorry

raylee 03-06-2010 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by NYKnick1015 (Post 889867)
the snow has been melting alot lately but hopefully i can get back on the road soon... i am real hesitant on taking the thruway around me so when i do ride, im gonna stick to local roads and take the LONG way... better safe then sorry

How is the thruway for riding normally? Like say if I wanted to plan trips to bear mountain? I remember back in the day when I'd ride out with evo/subaru clubs those camaro cop cars were always a worry.

chetman7 03-06-2010 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by raylee (Post 890113)
How is the thruway for riding normally? Like say if I wanted to plan trips to bear mountain? I remember back in the day when I'd ride out with evo/subaru clubs those camaro cop cars were always a worry.

after driving from NYC to Albany via NYS thruway for over 5 years...I love the drive. After a while you can figure out a trend of where the cop hot spots are...clean roads no pot holes to worry about...just long smooth straight open road.
I usually take 17N thru jersey to get to the thruway...that on the other hand is a different story.