Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Hands vibrate after a long ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Operating any constantly vibrating machine for extended periods will do this to you. I try to let my hands rest before it happens because I dont believe its good for you.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by cBrentb
yep, i know what ya mean. what helps me a lot is, grip with legs on tank, straighten back, tighten abs and lighten my grip on the handle bar.i use a throttle assist while touring and interstate. i still get numbness while riding just not near as bad when i put all the weight on my arms and wrist.

Also use your feet on the pegs more, I ride a CBR1000RR which means I am pretty much forced into a racing crouch, by holding on with my legs and feet, bending my elbows and adopting a loose grip on the bars I think you will gain better control of the bike as well, its no good fighting the bikes handlebars, I use my weight to steer as much as I do the 'bars' unless I'm traveling really slow and hanging off the side of the bike tends to put pressure on the right side of the 'bars' to turn the way you want as well. As you tend to steer more by pressure on the 'bars' than actually turning them (I dare say you already know that) a tight grip is unnecessary. A steering damper (standard on my bike) also helps a lot.

Anyway, happy riding, keep it sunny side up.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 PM

I've been having problems with my throttle hand going numb as well. I try everything.....loosening gloves, gripping lighter, bending arms more, etc. and it has helped a bit, but not enough. I just got some Progrip dual compound grips today, so I will post up the results when it finally stops raining. I also keep hearing that filling the clip ons with lead shot works wonders.....I might end up trying that if these grips don't do the trick.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:57 PM
"A"
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Loosen the 'death-grip' while riding, push handlebar away in corners instead of grabbing it.

I put a .25 o-ring between throttle grip and control, poor-man's cruise control, no need to keep hand on the grip to keep throttle open.

Knees squeezing the tank does relief the upper body, most of us have stronger legs than arms. A secure tank bag that you can lean against can also help.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:59 PM

Does anyone know of any good gloves that could add to prevention too?

Old 05-26-2013, 09:35 PM
"A"
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordhamjc
Does anyone know of any good gloves that could add to prevention too?
For purpose of vibration damping, gel padded cycling gloves work wonders, but does not offer much crash protection.

MX gloves are usually pretty good for vibration damping, too... also lack crash protection for pavement usage.