Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

How do you...

Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do you...

Handle mid-corner throttle corrections? You're in the corner, leaned over, and realize you made a mistake with the throttle and need to correct. what do you do?

I know what I do depending on the situation. Just trying to see what others do

Old 05-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean, a mistake with the throttle? You're supposed to be gradually rolling on the throttle throughout the turn, starting immediately after turn-in. If you realize you could have carried more speed through the turn, you need to be patient until the bike is upright enough to transition from gradual roll-on to full-on pinning it. Consider it a lesson learned for your next time through that turn.

If it's a matter of adjusting your line, either to the inside or the outside, you should momentarily stop rolling on, but don't chop it closed, either. Keep a neutral throttle, make the steering correction, then resume the roll-on. (courtesy of Keith Code)

If there's an obstacle in the roadway that a steering correction can't help you with, like a vehicle blocking the entire road, your options are limited. Maybe the best option is to stand the bike up and shed whatever speed you can. And lesson learned: in blind turns, don't outride your ability to stop.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good advice Munson. But you touched on where a lot of people make a throttle mistake: you're "supposed to be" gradually rolling on / off the throttle. I've been alongside riders going through the same turn (in the lane next to me) and can tell
  1. their idea of gradual is anything but
  2. having fed too much / chopped throttle, their turn is anything but optimal.

They also scare the chit outta me when next to them

Last edited by Kuroshio; 05-23-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Handle mid-corner throttle corrections? You're in the corner, leaned over, and realize you made a mistake with the throttle and need to correct. what do you do?

I know what I do depending on the situation. Just trying to see what others do
As you mention it will depend on the situation and the rider. I know that I'm supposed to roll on the gas asap after I have the bike turned and sometimes I realize I'm delayed with getting on the gas so I just try to roll it on or correct it next time around. Same goes for if I've chopped it, I try to roll it back on etc. However, (having been a coach and a racer for so many years) I can tell immediately when I've made a mistake and know how to fix it, or how to try to fix it next time.

The problem is, as you describe, many riders don't know what good throttle control is and they also don't often realize that their own throttle control is crap. It usually takes them working with a riding school or coach, or fellow racers to find out that they are doing it incorrectly. It's tough to try and fix someone else's TC unless they are specifically asking for help.

Sometimes giving riders specific examples on how throttle control effects things like their line and the overall stability of the motorcycle can help direct their attention to the fact that they might need help

Did that answer the question at all???

Misti

Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine broke his leg and totaled an Aprilia RSV mille R two years ago going too fast into a corner, being used to inline 600s he kicked the gear down but didn`t take into account that the big V acts a whole lot differently, the bike shot upwards and straight into the sticks from the apex of the corner.

I have a kind of a motto like if you`re scared going INTO a corner, how`d you expect to get out of there... I know I`m a poor rider cause I only have like 15tkm behind be on a street bike so I`ll just leave those trackday tricks to the ones that know what they`re doing and just try to keep myself on the black stuff...

Search this Thread