Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Are voters more entitled to freedom of speech?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are voters more entitled to freedom of speech?

Just like how someone told me I'm not a mechanic but I just got done installing an engine I rebuilt myself. Hmmmmmmm.

I feel as if osama americans dont vote because they dont have maps.

But really I think a lot of people dont vote cause if the person/s they vote for turns up to be a dud. Then they dont want to hear "I told ya so" from other people.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: shoortbuss

ORIGINAL: doogstar
As a Soldier, who has been deployed in support of the war, it hurts my heart to hear us talk down about our country. My wife, the mother of my children, deploys this December for our rights, and freedoms. Aweasel, if you were a black man, who once was not able to vote because of the color of your skin, would your mind change?
I feel as if people take for granted the fact that it is every Americans right to Vote. My mother in law is a felon that wished she could vote, but because she stole some food to take care of her children 20 years ago, she cant, ever. If the Govt said that you must make at least $125,000 a year as a household to vote, many of you wouldnt make the cut. I honestly feel as if you would want to vote just because you couldnt.
Bottom line is, (mods dont kill me) aww *** it, dont even wanna go there. You can always vote for the independent party. Just vote, because you have the right. Do I believe everything the candidates say theyre gonna do? No, most of it is impossible anyway. but he has a good rep with me until HE ****s it up. White, black, man, or woman.
doog, I have a great respect for your passion and opinion on this, but please keep in mind that our bad mouthing of this country is due criticism, and we do it because we love this place too. I am disappointed in what our over-sized government has become, or perhaps what it always was from the beginning.

I put some thought into your question that asked "if you were a black man, who once was not able to vote because of the color of your skin, would your mind change?" I really can't put myself in the shoes of people who fought so hard for the rights and privileges that were just freely handed to white men like me, but I suspect my answer to your question would be yes. You are right, I would probably want to vote more if I couldn't, but wanting something I can't have is a common human desire, and nary a reason to participate in an election.

The people I originally spoke about feel that voting is a responsibility rather than a right. It's not, and the constitution is very clear about it. I hate to use the cliché "I don't like either candidate" argument, so I'll take that a step further. Where's the "none of the above" option? What if I feel that I don't need an entire hierarchy of leadership at a ridiculous number of levels from borough to division to city to state to region to nation? Why do I need so much damned "leadership", and what's my option if I feel I don't need to be "lead?"

Perhaps I would feel different about this if I had the smallest inkling that my "representatives" actually conveyed the best interest of myself and my fellow citizens, but they don't. It's disconcerting that even though I have a dozen or so people who "represent" me specifically, I still have no voice. Some people believe voting is their voice, but if I go to a Penguins game, nobody is going to hear me yelling over the sound of 17,132 people...how the hell can I expect to be heard over the 125,736,000 who voted in the last election?

Call me ignorant or un-patriotic or whatever else you will, but I feel how I feel. I've read all the responses thus far, and I think there are some great thoughts out there. Nobody is wrong on this thread, as we all have our own opinions on voting and that should be respected. I thank everybody for keeping this civil. I'm impressed and surprised at how everybody was able to convey passion while displaying an appropriate level of constraint, so thank you for that.
I respect your views/opinions

Old 10-04-2008, 04:14 PM

i voted in the primaries and it was done on a computer. was wondering, how could i write in a canidate if its on a comp with only choices a, b, or c. isnt it my right to be able to write in somebody if i want to?

Old 10-04-2008, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: dizzie56

i voted in the primaries and it was done on a computer. was wondering, how could i write in a canidate if its on a comp with only choices a, b, or c. isnt it my right to be able to write in somebody if i want to?
I wrote in this guy.

http://www.tsgnet.com/pres.php?id=37...&altl=Ifbe