Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Are voters more entitled to freedom of speech?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Are voters more entitled to freedom of speech?

You have the following rights,

1. To vote
2. To NOT vote
3. To exercise your freedom of speech and express your opinion regardless of whether you choose #1 or 2..

Anyone that feels your opinion is invalid because you chose #2 instead of #1 is infringing upon your rights. Screw 'em.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 PM
RCR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would vote if the person receiving it would do as he/she said they would do. Until then no one gets my vote!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Retired Moderator

For me, I feel as if I have to vote. As an African American, we werent always allowed to vote, so its a slap in the face to all those who marched for hours, were threatened, sprayed with water hoses etc...
Thank you, Doog (see amendment 15). There are many people in many countries who don't have the right to vote. People have died in THIS country for the right. So many greasy, fat, overindulged Americans don't even bother. I am not saying that if you "chose" not to vote, you are a piece of ****. I am continuing what Doog said...it is an honor, even if it is just symbolic. I wonder how many people in third world countries would love to have a voice. We have that...Godbless America, man!!! I guess, if you chose not to vote...I don't have a problem with you. I guess I have a problem with someone who does not even give it a moment's thought, thensends their kidsto the store to buy ice cream and soda with their welfare check. Somebody, a long time ago, paid for that with blood. Please give a ****. To me, it is important. I am proud to vote...been doing it since my first legal oportunity (see amendment 26).

Old 10-03-2008, 10:12 PM
RCR

Who are you honoring with your vote? The ones that have fallen for this country or the canidate?

Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The electoral college was put in place because America is NOT a democracy. We are a republic. As such sometimes the will of the majority is not always what is right. Giving every adult over 18 the right to vote was not very popular ... but it was right. I don't really like the electoral college system but it has good and bad points.

But even if you do not vote for the president ... you can vote for local issues and candidates. They will affect your life far more often than who poses as pres for 4 years.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:42 AM

I like voting, too, makes me feel part of something bigger. But honestly, my course in U.S. history this year is illuminating a great deal about this country. I had always thought we were a republic of patriots wrapped in red, white, and blue flags bent on fulfilling manifest destiny...zomg, uh, not even close. More like deception, paranoia, and murder...from day one. But that's what I get for being raised in a white christian school system. lol

Old 10-04-2008, 03:49 AM

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

I like voting, too, makes me feel part of something bigger. But honestly, my course in U.S. history this year is illuminating a great deal about this country. I had always thought we were a republic of patriots wrapped in red, white, and blue flags bent on fulfilling manifest destiny...zomg, uh, not even close. More like deception, paranoia, and murder...from day one. But that's what I get for being raised in a white christian school system. lol
hence the constant swarm of zombie do-or-die patriots roaming the streets. That's something that you can say in here among understanding pals but I don't recommend you say that in the public square unless you like getting lynched...which is extremely sad.

I'm all for someone choosing not to vote...just as much as it is your right to do so it's your right not to. I'm more-so against those morons brainwashed from the charismatic young-republicans/democrats in highschool that got militant about either party simply because their more leader-type friends persuaded their minds. It's funny how groups can sway just about anyone...that whole "you're either with us or against us" can really change a lot of apprehensive people...and there's a stockpile of em. In a perfect world it'd be okay to have your opinion and that's that but there's a lot of baggage attached to either side of an argument depending on many things, your family(I'd say it's hard to be a democrat in a predominantly republican household and vice versa, no?), friends, school, church, whatever and that's really unfortunate. Thus is the way our society works so we do what we can, the crazy candidates know just which buttons to push and that's what makes me a little uncomfortable with picking the lesser-of-two-evils that can seemingly play the american audience like a stringed instrument...and they know it. I have a bad feeling a lot of people will simply vote yea or nay for a candidate based on one stupid irrelevant social hot topic like gay-marriage when there are extremely serious (economy anyone?) type matters to be dealt with instead of *****-nilly issues like that which to some people are make-or-break. I think this is where a lot of that rock-the-vote **** comes into play where people feel they HAVE TO vote but don't wanna do the homework so they wing it with a "well they're for abortion so they'll be a horrible president" decision.

At the end of the day, I'll write in my own goddamn name if I have to but I usually vote just because I know a lot of people really don't even get so much as that in this crazy world let alone a glass of water when they're thirsty.

Quick Reply: Are voters more entitled to freedom of speech?