Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Are voters more entitled to freedom of speech?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are voters more entitled to freedom of speech?

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

most ppl vote for whatever party their parents did n dont have a fin clue!! You all have heard n met em, (I am voting democrat regardless!!) yes lil sheep do wtf youre told and dont question it!!!

Agreed....and I'll take it one step further, people vote with their wallets. Period

What will affect me the most dollars wise...either in "free" stuff given to melike welfare or "programs"(no such thing though, we all pay for it)

Or what will this person cost me in job or taxes taken from me.

All else is pretty much secondary

Old 10-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I dont vote, as to me it does not seem to matter. It seems to me we hardly live in a democracy anymore anyhow, they are gonna pass the bills they want to pass, and make rich who they want and poor who they want, no matter who is sitting in the big chair. That may be a somewhat ignorant statement, but thats how it feels to me.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

ORIGINAL: dizzie56

i would just like to here how my vote actually counts? honestly, how does my vote count, or anybody elses for that matter? "Yeah, we got to speak our minds" is complete bs. Show me, in the constitution, where it actually says the canidate with the popular vote from the PEOPLE and not the popular vote from the ELECTORAL college gets to pick the canidate and ill go out and vote. Or, id even go out and vote if it was mandated that the electoral college would have no other alternative to pick a different canidate other than the one his delegates had picked...id even vote then. But its not that way. yeah, 99% of the time, they follow you and i. but they still have that 1% that they can pick the future prez of our country and pay no regards to how we feel and thats why i dont vote. even though its only 1%, it is alot of power when you look at it. all it really takes is just them sayin "You know what, fack it, ima vote this way instead of that a way." and poof, all our hollorin and bitchen dont count for ****e. even if it was a landslide victory on behalf of the popular vote of the people they can still not pick that canidate and pick the other...how rediculous is that?

and as far as me not havin any opinions because i dont vote, well, you can kiss my educated *** then. im sorry that i can actually read and comprehend the constitution better than your toothless redneck ars or your tie-dye wearin treehuggin ars or even your pop-culture mtv wanna be "Vote or die" crap that you are screamin. they can all blow me, seriously, they can line up round the corner and give me the herp for all i care.
He has a good point. [8D]
well, thank you my fellow educated friend.

seriously tho, i love gettin into this conversation with somebody that is so die hard about having a say in the political world with our votes and then i just pop up and say "thats not what it says in the constitution". they usually just get all red faced and mad and do that "Well, yeah, but...ok, but yada yada yada." speech and then turn and continue to talk to the other people around. i think it is fackin hilarious.

to me its like goin to the squid with that new shiny stock 1krr that is spittin out that he can do 186 on that bike to the lil curb squirrels and then going "No you cant because its fackin impossible."

Old 10-03-2008, 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: some guy #2

Don't most states electoral colleges' vote in lines of the popular vote? I think only 2 states have that in writing though.
no, they dont have to vote with the popular vote. if they did, me and a bunch of other Americans would be more than happy to vote but we dont because it is the way it is...sorry, but we dont count for jack.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:17 PM

I wish I could vote more!!!! A couple thing bug me about voting. I own property in town but I am not allowed to vote on any property tax issues that come up because I dont live in town. However, my tenant and anyone else who lives in town but owns nothing is allowed to vote to raise MY property tax!!! Thats just not right!!! If its a tax issue that directly affects you, you should be able to vote on it....... if its an issue that someone can vote toraise taxes on me to benefit them......Thats BS.....

Old 10-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each state has a number of electors equal to the number of its U.S. senators (2 in each state) plus the number of its U.S. representatives, which varies according to the state's population. Currently, the Electoral College includes 538 electors, 535 for the total number of congressional members, and three who represent Washington, D.C., as allowed by the 23rd Amendment. On the Monday following the second Wednesday in December, the electors of each state meet in their respective state capitals to officially cast their votes for president and vice president. These votes are then sealed and sent to the president of the Senate, who on Jan. 6 opens and reads the votes in the presence of both houses of Congress. The winner is sworn into office at noon Jan. 20. Most of the time, electors cast their votes for the candidate who has received the most votes in that particular state. However, there have been times when electors have voted contrary to the people's decision, which is entirely legal.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:57 PM

^^^^

its completely legal, but does it make it right? does that really make us have a say? yeah, maybe we can vote them outa congress in a couple of years but that dont make up for their screw up for the next 4 years.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WTF, where the hell is my house then?????

Old 10-03-2008, 08:06 PM

For me, I feel as if I have to vote. As an African American, we werent always allowed to vote, so its a slap in the face to all those who marched for hours, were threatened, sprayed with water hoses etc...

As far as the subject goes....It can sometimes be misunderstood bysaying if you dont vote, you dont have the right to an opinion. Lets say this. If you dont bother to vote, for whatever reason, how can you complain about anything in our country that went wrong? How can you mention the high gas prices? By no means am I saying that since I do vote, I have mnore rights than you but at least I did what I could to TRY and help, regardless of who I voted for. I neither agree nor disgree, Im just giving my .02.

Also,on the Jay-Z/P Diddy etc.. going on TV for the Rock the Vote Campaign....I dont see what the big deal is. If you want change, how do you attract the attention of the youth. Just like Dora, or Barney saying things to young children. There are so many young people that dont vote that are eligible. If people had voted, maybe last election could have went the other way. Who do you think it is that doesnt vote? It sure aint the educated, middle to upper class youth.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Voting in Australia is compulsory, there are still those who attend the poll & vote informally (don't fill out the ballot) basically so they don't get fined.
To me voting is a right that I take seriously & I believe it can make a difference (& I only touch briefly on the point that freedom & democracy in any country has been made possible by the blood & lives of many).
If you choose not to vote, that's your right, if you believe your vote won't make a difference, then that's fine to, but I will say here wot I have always said (so don't take offense).
If you don't like the way something is & your not prepared to do anything about it, then why would anybody want to hear you whinge about it.

Quick Reply: Are voters more entitled to freedom of speech?