General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove seat with broken keylock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adjskara
Hi!

I have CBR 1000F -95 The ignition set is changed but the tankcap and the seat lock is not.
So is there a easy way of opening the seat wihout having to drill throug the lock? And if not how do I drill? Juste one big
Is there any other way of feeding the batteri whitout lifting the seat?
For start I would need to charge the battery to get it to start and that is one thing I want to do before I buy it....
The same goes for the tankcap but I gues that I could just unscrew all the screws around the cap and lift right?!

Hey:

+1 on the locksmith, the fuel cap will not remove with the screws removed if locked the mechanism will still be engaged do to a safety/security feature. The seat can be released from underneath but if you are going to call a locksmith have them do both at the same time.
You have to cut/drill from the bottom to put a screwdriver or something to push the release lever for the seat if you don't use a locksmith. Unless they are really expensive there that is how I would do it they can even make new keys from the info on the locks to get you by till you can get a new lockset if needed, but not if drilled.
The speedo link is on the front drive sprocket cover by mech cable from 90-99 CBR1000Fs the cables do break or may be disconnected at either end. Also see spiceymeowmix how to on the picking of a gas cap as its the same info for the seat if you choose to do that.
https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...eyless-104429/

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 11-11-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:39 AM

Tanks for the help...i have it here this weekend and Will check the speedo cable tomorrow....the locks. Have been drilled....
Cheers...

Old 11-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Also if the Cable is good check the little plastic drive gear in the sprocket cover as they are known to crack with age around the edges new they are like $6 dollars in the USA, and shipping should not be to bad to Scandyland if they are overpriced there.

Dub

Old 11-15-2011, 03:53 PM

Hi team!!
I had it home fo the weekend and rode it for like 200 km :-)
just a few degres abowe frezing so...yea it was coold....but fun.

It is a cable to the speedo and it is broken. Tha batterie was dry on 2 cells so it is toast but I missed out on the R/R couldnt find it or it was not damamged?!

The engine runs smoth on idle and there is brute force when reving it up but if I just cruse in 80-90 km/h (just above 3000 rpm) it was a bit moaning and missing....like "I dont like this give me more gas"....could it be that it is not tuned for this cold and foggy weather? It was realy cold and foggy!!!!

Another thin I notise was when steping of the gas ther is a "Klonk" and also some on acceleration. Like if there is a gapp thatchange position. Could it be that the chain isnt correct adjusted? Or is the gerabox getting weak? Are the gerabox a weak point on this bikes?

I will go back in a few days and discuss the price one more time...and then.... ;-)

Old 12-15-2011, 12:11 PM

Im now a happy CBR owner...:-)
Just have to inform the rest of the family...dont think "she " will be as happy...:-0

Old 12-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The klonk might be steering head bearings. Do you hear/feel it when just start braking? Try getting the front wheel supported off the ground. Then grab the forks
and pull stright forward and back. Watch the tripple-trees while you do it. If you
see any movement around the steering stem, the bearings are bad.

As for the stumble, have you tried running a couple of cans of Seafoam or other
carberator-cleaner with your gas? That will give you a good cleaning with-out
over-hauling the carbs. That said, you might have highway sprockets on the bike.
something along the lines of +1/-1 (front/rear) from stock. Three grand is a bit
low in the "power band", not a lot of "umph" there. You might just need to drop
down a gear, till you hit 95 to 100 kph. Four grand is where most bikes start "pulling",
from my experience.

Hope this helps, Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 12-15-2011 at 06:44 PM.