How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How to remove a locked gas cap AND make it "keyless"

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove a locked gas cap AND make it "keyless"

Alright, this is going to be hit and miss for a lot of people, but I did it, and so can you. If you don't want to bother with all this you can send me your gas cap (locked or unlocked) and I'll convert it to "keyless" for you for a small fee plus shipping, just PM me.

Anyway, on to the write up. I'm missing a lot of pictures but it's pretty self explanatory as you attempt it.

First off, brush up on your lock picking theory here: http://aaronjasso.com/features/lock.php

Here's that annoying little bastard:
Name:  CIMG2428.jpg
Views: 6525
Size:  31.2 KB

Here are the tools I made to do this. Old hacksaw blades are perfect for lock picks while ground away bent nails are good tension wrenches.

Name:  CIMG2429.jpg
Views: 5262
Size:  20.1 KB

Now, easier said then done, but pick that lock! You will spend a lot of time trying to do this, but you will get it. There are 5 pins and the lock cylinder turns CLOCKWISE. There is something about these locks that make them VERY brainless to pick. On most locks, if you push a pin up too far it will still be a "locked" pin. On the gas cap locks once the pin passes a certain point, the rest of it's range of motion will be "UNLOCKED." Read the lock picking tutorial and you will understand what I mean.

Conquered:
Name:  CIMG2430.jpg
Views: 5486
Size:  30.3 KB

If you want to make it "keyless," read on!

Go to 0:30 of this youtube video to see how to remove the lock assembly from the gas cap. NOTE: In the video you see him push the bottom of the gas cap towards the top of the cap. This causes the cap to lock itself again. SKIP THIS STEP or else you will have to pick the lock a second time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV-WKMqZzds

The result is:
Name:  CIMG2431.jpg
Views: 5579
Size:  47.2 KB

Once the gas cap is out, make sure the key cylinder is in the "UNLOCKED" position. If you grab the cylinder with needle nose pliers, the entire cylinder will slide out.

When the cylinder slides out, the pins will fall out rather easily. When the pins are gone, the cylinder locks and unlocks without a key.

Name:  CIMG2433.jpg
Views: 5181
Size:  23.7 KB

Put it all back together!

Locked:
Name:  CIMG2434.jpg
Views: 5152
Size:  34.0 KB

Unlocked:

Last edited by Taiden; 01-01-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:16 AM

Actually good writeup! Not something I would want to try tho, I like having my tank locked. =p

Old 01-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

way too many thieves out there not to have a locking gas cap, esp on a bike. Sad but true!!!

Nice write up tho!

Old 01-01-2010, 06:39 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Excellent info Taiden. Always good to know more about the hidden parts of our rides.
I won't be trying this as all have said above.... too many thieves about and if it aint broke no need to mess with it.
God write up, no doubt you'll be shifted to the how to's in due course.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:18 AM

this is more for the people out there who bought a tank on CL or ebay and it didn't come with a key (like me).

I couldn't find any info on the matter at all anywhere online other than internet forum hearsay, so I figured I'd give cbrforum a write up.

as far as thieves go, these tanks are a joke to lockpick. anyone with half a brain could have your cap unlocked in seconds (assuming your lock is in working order).

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Last edited by Taiden; 01-01-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:41 AM

Well this is a nice work, here are also a lot of thieves but I think that they dont know if my gas cap its locked or not...(i mean, with a working keylock) Maybe I ll try it...

Good job...

Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 AM

lol it doesnt look as pretty but i drilled out my 954 gas cap with a small drill bit, it worked just fine... looked good untill u opened the dust cover peice... same concept though i just think this is a lil less accident prone to mess something up

Old 01-06-2010, 01:45 PM
LBS

Okay. I get the possible need to be able to remove a locked gas cap if you lose your key or something, or you buy a gas cap off ebay and it comes with no key, or whatever.

What I don't get, is why you would want to have a non-locking gas cap?

...which also begs the question: what keeps the cap closed? If you push down the cap and it clicks, ie now locked, wtf keeps it closed if it doesn't do the *click* which also locks it? If your bike tips on it's side, does the fuel cap now just fling open gushing gas everywhere?

Am I really not understanding something simple here? (LOL wouldn't be the first or last time...)

Old 01-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by LBS
Okay. I get the possible need to be able to remove a locked gas cap if you lose your key or something, or you buy a gas cap off ebay and it comes with no key, or whatever.

What I don't get, is why you would want to have a non-locking gas cap?

...which also begs the question: what keeps the cap closed? If you push down the cap and it clicks, ie now locked, wtf keeps it closed if it doesn't do the *click* which also locks it? If your bike tips on it's side, does the fuel cap now just fling open gushing gas everywhere?

Am I really not understanding something simple here? (LOL wouldn't be the first or last time...)
Well by the looks of this right up the locking mech still works the same as it always did, just works without the key now so while pressing down you could turn it with your fingers. But even yet, I don't like the idea of it.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 AM
LBS

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex
Well by the looks of this right up the locking mech still works the same as it always did, just works without the key now so while pressing down you could turn it with your fingers. But even yet, I don't like the idea of it.

?

What would you turn with your fingers? It's the key that is used to rotate the locking mechanism, which is also has the resistance of the internal spring, which makes the latch keep the cap from opening.

I can't see A: the ability to overcome the resistance of the spring keeping the latch closed, with just your finger tip trying to push down and turn the place where the key used to go in, and B: what on earth would make that less of a hassle than just using your key in the first place?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing this mod at all, I'm just too dumb to understand what's really going on here, and need it explained to me so I can see the point of it.

Quick Reply: How to remove a locked gas cap AND make it "keyless"