How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How to remove a locked gas cap AND make it "keyless"

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you all so worried about locking the gas cap. Whats the most that they'll get 6 bucks worth of gas that they'll have to bring a siphon hose and gas can to get. You guys are being rediculous. And NO it wont fling open when the bike falls. The gas cap still works as intended with the only change being the ability to open it with a flat head screwdriver or ANY key that will go in the hole.
Johnny I love those little egg guys. I got a whole collection of stickers (from mis refrescos) while working in Saltillo.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
Why are you all so worried about locking the gas cap. Whats the most that they'll get 6 bucks worth of gas that they'll have to bring a siphon hose and gas can to get. You guys are being rediculous. And NO it wont fling open when the bike falls. The gas cap still works as intended with the only change being the ability to open it with a flat head screwdriver or ANY key that will go in the hole.
Johnny I love those little egg guys. I got a whole collection of stickers (from mis refrescos) while working in Saltillo.
Im not worried of what could be taken out, im worried of what could be put in. Ever think of someone who gets tired of us sportbike riders and wants to take revenge on your bike. A little bit of sugar could end your world. I like to have a lock.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^OK, but what keeps them from kicking your bike over. Once everything is put back together it looks stock. No one will ever know, even if they flip the flap up and see the lock cylinder, they wont know the tumblers have been removed. I mean how many people are gonna try to unlock the gas cap (even though the lock doesn't need the correct key) Maybe if they lifted the flap and seen a big hole there they might try to open it and do something malicious, but at that point the bike will proly be laying on its side with the tires slashed, mirrors broke off, and every piece of plastic smashed with a f*king hammer. Besides, who the hell drives around with a bag of sugar in their car.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:20 PM

Besides, who the hell drives around with a bag of sugar in their car.
I do, snacks on the way home from work are always a plus.

lol Im really not making as big of a deal about this as you are. To each his own I like having a lock, ive got a lock on my truck too.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:11 PM

Chill out guys, either way its fine if want it that way, so why don't we drink a couple of beers??

...Johnny I love those little egg guys. I got a whole collection of stickers (from mis refrescos) while working in Saltillo.
hahaha i have a sticker that i put in the rear window of my car that say "Huevos" and one of this little guys making a bad sign (the one with the middle finger up)....

So, let's ride....

Old 02-04-2010, 04:22 AM

Very cool mod. I don't really see the point of the lock. Most cars don't have locking gas caps either. I'm not worried about people stealing gas or sabotaging my bike.

I have noticed that my lock mechanism is very tough to turn, makes me nervous. I'd hate to break the key off in there. I think i'll give this a shot. Good write up!

-Steve

Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

Originally Posted by GC8Steve
Very cool mod. I don't really see the point of the lock. Most cars don't have locking gas caps either. I'm not worried about people stealing gas or sabotaging my bike.

I have noticed that my lock mechanism is very tough to turn, makes me nervous. I'd hate to break the key off in there. I think i'll give this a shot. Good write up!

-Steve

get some graphite powder from walmart, wherever the cut the keys. looks like a superglue tube. hold the dust cover down and squirt some into the mechanism. should smooth things right out. costs about a buck or two.....

ps. what ever you do dont put any liquid lubricants into the lock mechanism. they can jell up, or cause dust and dirt to collect and turn it into a bigger problem.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Fearless4x4
get some graphite powder from walmart, wherever the cut the keys. looks like a superglue tube. hold the dust cover down and squirt some into the mechanism. should smooth things right out. costs about a buck or two.....

ps. what ever you do dont put any liquid lubricants into the lock mechanism. they can jell up, or cause dust and dirt to collect and turn it into a bigger problem.
Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

Good write up.

To the ****** that are negative. The only thieving that will happen is YOUR WHOLE F'N BIKE WILL BE STOLEN.

2 or 3 strong dudes can take it all.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 PM

I'm a bit confused. Why does everyone feel they need a locking gas cap in the first place? Are people going to steal your gas? I think sport bikes are the only motorcycles I have ever seen that came with a locking gas cap (I know all the Harleys and custom bikes I see have basic screw on caps). Just don't see the point.

Quick Reply: How to remove a locked gas cap AND make it "keyless"