General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas tank repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not a big fan of water in the tank, but i have heard of people filling the tank with water and freezing it. I dont know how well it would work though.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM

As far as the match thing, just make sure you have pretty much ALL the liquid out and just kinda wave a torch over it. Prob ought to wear a safety mask and welding glove.. But you could also fill it up with water and wash it out but then it'll start to rust if you don't blow dry it really good. But i'm going to warn you, that match + gas tank thing is obviously dangerous so do it at your own risk bro.. I don't want you hurt though

Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 PM

Its okay! I'll just make an explosion-proof suit out of duct tape and burlap, then make sure I wrap it in tin foil-shiney side out.
Is it better to use wooden or paper matches?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:33 AM

Just use a bic lighter. Your hair will grow back, skin does too.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:43 AM

I forgot to mention. A lot of autobody shops have airbags. Actually, I dont know exactly what thier called, but its basically a small air bag that they can fit into tight spots, position the bag, and then fill it up with air from a hand pump. the bag expands and forces the dent out. A situation like yours might be perfect for one of those bags. I think I'd call a few autobody shops and ask if they have one. It may not cost that much to have them pop the dent out, then you can finish the body work once the major dents are out.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:36 PM

thanks for the advice. i managed to get the majority of the dents out and still have all my hands and a useable tank for those of you who want to know details- i took a piece of plate steel with a chunk of inner tube on the inside of the fuel pump hole and a bolt through it to another plate on the outside and tightened the bolt to seal the hole. then i did basically the same thing for the fuel cap hole, except i drilled an extra hole to screw in a male end of an air hose. i had an air regulator on the hos and started at 0 psi. around 25 psi the dents started popping out and at 40 psi most of the dents had popped out. it doesn't look like a new tank but it looks a lot better than it did before. i was told by a couple people to be careful cuz the seams might blow out so if you try this yourself, don't hook up the hose straight to the compressor without a regulator set at 0 psi. thanks again for your ideas.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol You guys are a hoot!

Glad you got your tank sorted out..

Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 AM

There was a guy doing his first skydive over Red Deer the other day when I was tossing matches... he was having trouble getting the chute to open. On my way by he asked do you know how to open a parachute? Nooooo... Do you know how to repair a gas tank?

Old 06-16-2009, 07:04 PM

there wouldnt be an explosion. it may burst into a flame but only right in front of the tank. eventually the fumes run just above the tank into the air and its spread so thin it stays within limits and besides it would burn up way faster. think about it. why does the flame of a lighter only stay an inch from the lighter, cuz the fumes/fluid burns off as fast as its being used. spray axe or hairspray on ur shirt ina happy face or somehting and light it, it only burns for like 3 secs until the accellerant is burned up and doesnt burn your shirt cuz its flaming outward and upward. now if u had a greasy shirt on and then did it thatd be diff.