F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Limited Edition Cf Shorty Bootleg Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Limited Edition Cf Shorty Bootleg Pipe

Ok, so the shorty came in yesterday and i installed it last night. I've had the Yosh TRS titanium on the bike (which i like very much) so most of what i say will be relative to that exhaust.

I'll get the bad out of the way first. When buying the exhaust, communication with bootleg was pretty poor. I did get it about 10 days after i submitted payment (which isn't bad), but had no communication with him until he shipped it 5 days later. Also, despite the hefty packaging, it had a small dent on the midpipe part upon arrival. Nothing very big, but it is noticeable if you look right at the pipe. But no biggie...i'm happy to have the pipe. (Here's a pic of the dent.)

Fit and Finish: shorty 10, TRS 8
So that's the bad. Now that's out of the way, i will say this pipe is gorgeous. The one piece construction as opposed to having a separate midpipe with springs is wonderful. I also couldn't help but admire the beautiful carbon fiber of the can. I've seen some mediocre CF, but this is very, very nice. Quick pic...

And it does indeed weight right at 3.5 lbs...midpipe and all. Amazing. The pipe is smaller in diameter than the TRS, as the the inner perforated core and outlet. (Note, the TRS mid pipe is significantly larger than the header collector.)

So i installed it, which took a little doing as i had a hard time finding just the right angle, but once i did it fit very well. A couple of pics installed...

Sound rating: TRS 9, shorty 8
Took it out on my commute today and love it. It's a bit louder than the TRS in general, but not overly so. I hate super loud exhausts and was hoping this wouldn't be one of them...i would say this one is just right. The TRS has a nice deep rumble at idle and screams on the top end, but you really can't hear it very much on the road unless you get on it. And at cruising speed the engine is louder than the TRS exhaust. Not so on the shorty. I would say it's just right on the money as you can hear the exhaust over the engine pretty much all the time, except when wind noise drowns it out about 65mph or so. So at highway speed you really can't tell a difference (which is a good thing). It's a different sound than the TRS...a little more midrange is the best way i can think of to describe it. I gave the TRS a slightly higher rating simply because it just sounds vicious, whereas the shorty sounds nice and smooth. So while the TRS gets props for the sound, the shorty is very very nice and has the perfect volume when you're on the bike. (Note: The shorty will probably change it's tone a little -probably deeper- as the packing loosens up over time. The TRS is already well broken in where the shorty is not.) I've got a couple of vids with the TRS and will make a couple with the bootleg and put them on Youtube tomorrow so you can see what i mean.

Power rating: TRS 9, shorty 8
I did notice a bit more 'umph' in the low and mid range compared to the TRS, but you lose a little on the top end. Not much, but i could tell the difference. Personally i spend most of my time at sub 10k rpm, so that's perfectly fine with me. I'm thinking this has to do with the TRS having a very large midpipe and perforated core and so breathes very well at high rpm, whereas the shorty is a bit smaller giving you more torque and crisper throttle response.

Looks: shorty 10, TRS 8
No contest. The shorty wins hands down.&nb

Old 10-05-2007, 08:07 PM

I have ordered mine last week. Still waiting for it to ship or some kind of update from Tom. Just patience. Congrats on your pip and great review of it. Be sure to post the links for the WWW.YOUTUBE.COM flybys.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:06 AM

Jmdaley...go out and get some sound clips. Get GOOD soundclips that VERY WELL show the sound of the exhaust...idel, midrange, upper range and flybys with slow acceleration and a good moderate-rapid acceleration.

We'll owe you one.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:06 AM

congrats everyone on their exhaust! Just a question about bootlegs website whats the difference between the shorty, bootleg, and cannon? or is it just looks?

Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Users

alright i don't have a real good finished pic YET...but here are some pics of my bootleg pipe ceramic coated gloss black...it's NOT the limited edition because i got it BEFORE they were released...although i have to admit...the tip i have looks pretty sick in the black....here are a few pics....oh and the sound...INCREDIBLE...i will post a story about how my buddy heard me get of the highway a block away later...

Name:  DSC_0011.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0010.jpg
Size:  58.2 KB

bad pic on the bike, will have better ones later
Name:  image-upload-32-789505.jpg
Size:  57.8 KB

Old 10-09-2007, 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: trafficsucks

congrats everyone on their exhaust! Just a question about bootlegs website whats the difference between the shorty, bootleg, and cannon? or is it just looks?
Even though I am still waiting for my Limited CF Shorty, I would say its all about looks. The cannon though is prob the loudest as there are less bends to slow down the sound - more of a straight through design.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:41 PM

Tip = sound I'm pretty sure thats it.

ORIGINAL: Glocker23

ORIGINAL: trafficsucks

Even though I am still waiting for my Limited CF Shorty, I would say its all about looks. The cannon though is prob the loudest as there are less bends to slow down the sound - more of a straight through design.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:49 PM

fffingers - do you have some sound videos of that pipe yet?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM

ya ffingers.. you cant keep us all in this suspence! haha
i talked with Tom from bootleg earlier this week, and he said when he gets time he will have vidoes of each different exhaust on his website. but since his businees is taking off, he doesnt really have the time.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 PM

question bootleg,
just curious to the increase of performance.
the weight reduction is segnificant, is the increase in power also as substantial?
06 yellow f4i
19000 mls
stock

Quick Reply: Limited Edition Cf Shorty Bootleg Pipe