F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike Would Not Start Today Wierd

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Would Not Start Today Wierd

Well i started today out just like any other day i got up at 6am got dressed ate a bite i went out side to start my bike and let it warm up while i got my stuff and headed out for work. I rode to work nice and easy so i wouldnt freeze at about 60 degrees it was pretty cold with the wind chill and all, i rode all the way to work with no problems or warnings of a problem, i parked the bike where i always do at work and when i came out at 11am to warm the bike up before leaving for lunch i put the key in and turned the bike on and displayed on my dash all the lights were lit except for the FI and i never heard the fuel pump turn on, well the engine stop switch was on RUN, **** now i got a problem and this is my only means of transportation and tomorrow its thanksgiving and im stuck at my first job and i still had to get to my next job and home again. Well the bike would turn over but was not getting fuel. So i rolled it inside, checked all the fuses and they were all fine, no need to check the starting system because it would turn over all day, i pulled the engine stop switch off and checked it and it had no problems, my service manual was at home and i had no one to call to go get it. I wasnt sure where the crank posisiton sensor was or if it even had one but i looked at all the connectors i could find and un-pluged tested and re-pluged every thing i could get my hands on. So then i pulled the tank off and tested from the fuel pump back with no luck i had power and ground but still woulnt run. Well i stepped back to think and when i looked at the front of the bike my front parking lights were not on, and my headlight was not on but my turn signal indicators were lit on the dash and so was the high beam indicator, the rear turn signals were on so i pulled all the turn signals apart looking for a short but had no luck the turn signal indicators went out with the system all unplugged but that wasnt my problem, so i went to the front of the bike again and started following the wires for the headlights and i found the highbeam wires had only power on one side and i noticed the bulb was burned so i followed that wire all the way to the pig tail and unplugged it and the terminal for that wire was burned too. The wire was fine so i put a new terminal on it plugged it back in and wah-la the fuel pump came on and the bike ran fine and everything on the dash was normal but both of my headlights were out, so i called around looking for some bulbs with not much luck finaly i found a store that had 4 so i purchased all of them 2 for now and 2 incase this happed again. I got the bike all put back together and rode to my next job on time thanks to my boss letting me fix the bike on the clock even after i waisted my hole lunch break on it. So all and all i spent $35 for 4 bulbs, 1.5 hour diag. and about an hour or so fixing a puting it all back together. Sure scared the crap out of me since i never had a problem with this bike not starting its a 2003 f4i with 34k and the OEM battery i ride it everyday rain or shine. I just wanted to let everyone know what happed to me because this was a wired situation i hope no one else has to go through but if you have the symtoms i had you know where to start at the pig tail on the left side of the bike where the headlights and all run too.

Old 11-23-2006, 01:34 AM
Default RE: Bike Would Not Start Today Wierd

nice turkey day story, made me all fuzzy inside

Old 11-23-2006, 02:11 AM

man thats a heck of day thankx for sharing the story i had somethin like that but i went straight to fuel pump cause everything worked except the pump i just swapt the pump and WHALLA!!! i only got 20k on it

Old 11-24-2006, 02:16 AM

You traced and repaired all that in 1.5 hours? Sorry I find that hard to belive

Old 11-25-2006, 10:45 PM

I didnt "trace and repair" in 1.5 it took me and a friend of mine that long to find the problem and then it took and hour to fix and put back together