CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

ignition coil problem or fuel pump?

Old 08-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition coil problem or fuel pump?

Hi all, so after reading about some of other people's problems like mine (bike bogging down like it's out of gas at mid-range rpms/cruising speeds) and noticing my fuel pump was removed, I'm starting to think that my problem is either related to the ignition coil (someone in town suggested to me).

Obviously, I have to wonder about the fuel pump part, but the guy who removed it said it would run fine without it and it sounds from other's experiences here too, that although performance will not be optimal w/o a FP, it should at least work (not die on me on the freeway, for instance).

Does this sound like it's caused by the ignition coils (how to check?) or lack of fuel pump... or something else?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to be completely honest with you it does not sound like the ignition coils. if you have a service manual there is a section dedicated specifically to testing the ignition coils. these f3's love their fuel pumps as crazy as it sounds because they are such low pressure pumps but it keeps a constant supply of fuel to the carbs. if you look through other post you will see that there is many complaints of people running their bikes by gravity feed (eliminated fuel pump) and they run into similar (if not exact) issues. i bought one of my f3's with no fuel pump and ended up purchasing one and installing it do to lack of power and cutting out. your best bet would be to look through a manual and test the coils, if they test out ok then i would replace the fuel pump.