CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

94 F2 project

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94 F2 project

Figured I'd finally get around to posting my build/rebuild project. Hoping to get more input and advice as I go. I've already learned alot by reading posts and build threads from alot of you. Anyway, this is my new toy. Apparently laid down on the right side so some of the plastics are gone, but mechanically starts and runs strong. Trans shifts smooth with no jumping in or out of gear. Overall I'm extremely pleased with it especially considering it was my valentines gift So far plans are to get it road worthy for my commute to and from work, then I will start modding/personalizing it. If you notice something in the pics I may have overlooked, please feel free to let me know. This is the first bike I have had since 96, so I may be a little rusty. Updates and pics will follow as I get funds and time. Thanks for looking..... here she is the day I picked her up.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Welcome Crew

Now that I removed the remaining fairings , I can get a better look at my work.

Ignition cylinder is missing, the little toggle switch is what was used by the po. Gas cap is also shot. Apparently opened with a screwdriver and hammer, hence the tape, so it doesn't get closed again. I have removed the tabs on the cylinder to keep it from locking, side effect : wont close. Still looking for a new one, found cylinder and gas cap on ebay for 29 but its from China and not sure it will fit. Guess we will see.

At one point I assume the bike was lowered, its the only reason I can find for the shortened stand. I found one to replace it and the difference is obvious.

Once installed I won't have to use the brick anymore.

Both lever pivot bolts are missing. Brake lever and front brake light switch are missing also. scary thing is the po rode the bike like this. I ordered two levers $12 all in and they arrived yesterday. not pretty but functional, which is my concern at the moment.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Welcome Crew

Let the bike idle for a bit. Headlight started smoking. now that I have all fairings removed I think I can see why.

This is the beginning of the mess. Looks like I will be spending some hours tracing, repairing, replacing, and reconnecting wires. Fun times.

If yall notice something I miss or fail to mention, please feel free to say something. I believe I will need all the help I can get. Especially considering my wiring diagram does not tell me what wires go to which pins in the headlight connector. only the colors. I believe they were wired backwards if that makes sense.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Welcome Crew

And now for the rest of the bike. Please excuse the quality of pics as all I have is my phone for a cam. Anyways, back tire... not sure how the chunks got there but its next to be replaced. By the way I'm open to suggestions for longevity. I don't have twisties near me nor a track. I motly will ride my straight shot (highway) commute of 106 miles round trip 6 days a week, so I don't need the super sticky track tires.

Looks like the seals on one of the forks is leaking

right fork doesnt appear to be leaking, but they will both be replaced anyway. As an auto mechanic, I don't see the point in doing one only to have to do another later. I don't like working twice lol.

Got a couple oil leaks. Not really a concern. I had planned on checking valve clearance anyway. Missing two bolts on the stator cover though. Seems my list grows.

Chain shows total lack of care. Its not even adjusted.

Even my fiancee, who knows nothing of bikes knows I shouldn't be able to lift it like that. Still debating on the sprocket. Teeth are straight, not burred. I think it'll be ok for a month or two. Opinions?

Old 03-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Welcome Crew

Now for a question. What were they thinking? Although solidly welded, I don't know how much I trust or should trust this. Nor do I know how to fix it. Suggestions please!!

Now for the other misc. stuff. Think I need a new one of these. Doesn't leak or anything but I don't trust it.

New rear pegs eventually.

The yoshi does dound good though, even though its a little dented.

Also have an APE installed already.

Just a last pic I took of the rear shock.
Okay ladies and gentleman, there she is. I'm still rather stoked with her. Also, her needing work isnt such a bad thing. Along the way, as budget permits, I can upgrade parts and what not to what I want. Anywho, I welcome any comments, suggestions, etc. I know there is a wealth of knowledge here and fully intend to utilize it to the upmost. I have already got alot of ideas from others build threads, so don't be shy. More progress and pics as I go.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Wire nuts......LOL

You have your work cut out for you. A bike neglected that bad breaks my heart. At least it found a good home.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Welcome Crew

Breaks mine too. I can't stand wire nuts lol. They are fine for testing, but whats wrong with a solder iron? Or at least some butt connectors. She is here to stay, I was told I'm forbidden to sell her.... ever...lol.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum, gtcole... it does suck to see a bike that's been neglected, but like was already mentioned, at least you're gonna get it in good working order!

I'm anxious to see your progress, and I may have a few things you're gonna need.
Firstly, this next weekend, I'm going to be setting up a keyless ignition, on my race bike, for simplicity at the track, and to shave more weight - the matching keyed gas cap is already off the bike - I'll be putting those up for sale, as a set, next weekend.
Also, I already have a good pulse generator cover (this one \/\/\/)

...which is in perfect shape, I just needed to replace it with a heavy duty, race-approved cover. If you're interested, just check my sale thread:

F2 Parts For Sale

Originally Posted by gtcole
She is here to stay, I was told I'm forbidden to sell her.... ever...lol.
Yeah, I think it's bad juju to sell a gift! Ok, not really "bad juju", but I try to avoid ever selling something that was a gift... it seems disrespectful, I guess.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I just put two and two together, and realized you were already on my sale thread, regarding the master cylinder!

Nonetheless, if you need any of those other items I mentioned (pulse gen. cover, gas cap/ingition switch), let me know, as getting you more items in one package would make sense, with saving shipping costs.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Welcome Crew

Yeah I'm interested in the rest too. Let me know a price so I can see if I can get it together for you. Thank you.

Quick Reply: 94 F2 project