CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

'93 F2 Mods - Phase 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got all the pin-striping removed from the race bodywork, and did a little mock-up, to get an idea of what I want to do with the paint.

Next, it's time to start sanding them down smooth, in preparation for the repairs that are necessary, and the new paint job.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like F3 fairings. At least the upper does. I would check and make sure it fits before doing a crap load of work to it. From my understanding F2's and F3's upper will not swap unless you swap the fairing stay also. If I remember correctly.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
That looks like F3 fairings. At least the upper does. I would check and make sure it fits before doing a crap load of work to it. From my understanding F2's and F3's upper will not swap unless you swap the fairing stay also. If I remember correctly.
Yes, you are correct, however, when I had the bike apart, preparing for my last track-day, I already did a mock fitting of the upper and tail, and everything lines up correctly (within reason - there are repairs that need to be made to the fiberglass in spots).
It's Cheetah bodywork, which I know very little about - perhaps the F2 and F3 race kits are very similar in style...who knows.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd use rapidfix to fix any breaks, and bondo over gouges and imperfections. I'd sand it all down and primer over it when you are done repairing. I wouldn't strip it and then start over. I think I have the same fairing on mine. I have a F3 frame with F2 stay. It is tight and would prob be better with F3 stay.
When I got these fairings (few years ago) I thought it would be better to have the one upper and one lower. That was my reason for getting them. Now I think I'd go with stock for ease of maintenance. I bought mine new and still had a lot of sanding and fixing to do, then of course drilling and getting them to fit.
I decided against cutting a light set up and mounted a lower light which has worked out fine for me.
Definitely have been watching your progress. Thanks for putting it all there!

Attached Thumbnails '93 F2 Mods - Phase 1-gg.jpg  
Old 07-23-2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by xjgseven
I'd use rapidfix to fix any breaks, and bondo over gouges and imperfections. I'd sand it all down and primer over it when you are done repairing...
Thanks for that - I'll have to look into rapidfix - I am assuming it is a fiberglass specific repair product?

Originally Posted by xjgseven
...When I got these fairings (few years ago) I thought it would be better to have the one upper and one lower. That was my reason for getting them. Now I think I'd go with stock for ease of maintenance. I bought mine new and still had a lot of sanding and fixing to do, then of course drilling and getting them to fit.
I decided against cutting a light set up and mounted a lower light which has worked out fine for me...
Just to clarify, my intentions with this fairing set is not for the convenience of one upper and one lower main fairing bits (though, if they came that way from the factory, that sure would be sweet! ), this is for racing use - lights and signals are not a factor.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! Thats a big *** picture but mine was bigger. na na na na naaaa. lol. What track is that. I wish we all could go to the same track and B.S. I dont know a soul at the Summit Point that gets on this site or the 1000rr site that I could B.S. with at the track. Most guys I see are on R6's GSXR's or something from Europe.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM

...Thats a big *** picture but mine was bigger. na na na na naaaa. lol...
Oh yeah! I thought of you when I posted, and said to myself "do I wanna put up the ridiculously ginormous pic, like Frank did? So I've got Large, Large 1600, and Large 2048 to pick from...I chose just "Large", so as not to be ridiculous!!

...What track is that...
Heartland Park, in Topeka, Kansas - I was pretty impressed with the track, it's got some interesting sections, that take a few laps to "put it all together", but the surface seemed very good all around - I didn't encounter any glaring issues with bumpiness, or different grip levels on overlapping surface types, or anything like that...can't wait to get out there again at the end of next month!!

...I wish we all could go to the same track and B.S. I dont know a soul at the Summit Point that gets on this site or the 1000rr site that I could B.S. with at the track. Most guys I see are on R6's GSXR's or something from Europe.
Agreed. I figured I might run into a couple of the guys from the WERA forum, but one didn't make it out, I don't think - I did see another one of those guys there, but he was doing tech, and not riding the track. Plus, it was so friggin hot, everyone pretty muched just vegged under their own shade canopies, and hydrated, unless it was track time.
This track is about 2 1/2 hours from Wichita, where I live, and we just happen to set up our pit stuff right next to another guy who was from Wichita, so that was kind of cool - his gal hung out with my gal, while we were on track, trying their best to take pics and record lap times and such...I won't comment on their reliability with these tasks!!
But honestly, I'm not sure if I would have cared that day, if I was there alone or not, I just couldn't wait to get back out again for the next session...that's pretty much all I thought about!!

Old 07-30-2012, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work. I have question wher you buy those fairings??

Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Zamor93
I have a question where you buy fairings to your cbr f2
It's a Hong Kong set - $510 total, shipped to my door - I was acutally quite impressed with the shipping, as it arrived in just under two weeks, if I remember correctly...I don't remember the seller, but I'll check my links, and see if I can find the site.

Keep in mind - Hong Kong fairings are a bit of a risk, and these were NOT a direct swap, it took some work. Go back some pages in my thread, and read all the posts regarding the mounting, and subsequent repairs and workarounds.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read your post about the mirrors you bought, but where did you buy them? I couldn't find a link.

Quick Reply: '93 F2 Mods - Phase 1