CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:28 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that Gern. I'm ordering a pair next payday. I did a 200 km loop today with some workmates. Man that new shock is really good. Was silky smooth all the way over some pretty bad roads. I can thoroughly recommend the Wilbers shock. Value for money.

Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?-bikes-dungog.jpg  

Last edited by Bordo; 08-06-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:02 PM

I highly recommend it.
I lowered the shift lever today so everything feels right. Rotated the arm on the shaft one spline clockwise and that lowered the end of the shifter just over an inch, which matches the 1" that the brackets lowered the footpeg.
Name:  CAM00348.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  206.6 KB
Note: It took me a couple of minutes to figure out why the arm wouldn't slide off the shaft even with the pinch bolt loosened. The pinch bolt (right above the mid-point of the shifter arm in the pic) must come all the way out as there's a groove in the shaft that the bolt rides in to keep the assembly from coming off if the bolt somehow got loose.
Loosen the 12mm bolt that the shifter arm rides on, remove the 10mm pinch bolt, pull the assembly towards you until you can rotate it one spline, tap it back onto the shaft and tighten the 2 bolts. Easy Peasy.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:15 PM

1993 Honda CBR1000F US Model in Japan. Waiting for my new windshield, side mirrors, H4 HID kit that failed after 20 minutes. Any of you had issues with HID conversions? 73,000 miles, runs great with micron exhaust 4 into 1. I owned a 1991 CBR1000F Euro model when I was in Spain. Bullet proof reliability, never had any issues...

Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gern_blanston
I highly recommend it.
I lowered the shift lever today so everything feels right. Rotated the arm on the shaft one spline clockwise and that lowered the end of the shifter just over an inch, which matches the 1" that the brackets lowered the footpeg.

Note: It took me a couple of minutes to figure out why the arm wouldn't slide off the shaft even with the pinch bolt loosened. The pinch bolt (right above the mid-point of the shifter arm in the pic) must come all the way out as there's a groove in the shaft that the bolt rides in to keep the assembly from coming off if the bolt somehow got loose.
Loosen the 12mm bolt that the shifter arm rides on, remove the 10mm pinch bolt, pull the assembly towards you until you can rotate it one spline, tap it back onto the shaft and tighten the 2 bolts. Easy Peasy.
thanks for the heads up Gern. Appreciate it. Cheers.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Welcome Crew

Well I suspect I blew out the stator, regulator or both! First bit of funk was yesterday at lunch, fired up normally and I took off. She died on decell. Started right back up no problem. Then while out today it did the same thing twice while in traffic, both at low rpms. On the way home we stpped for coffee, came back out and didn't have enough voltage to get started. My buddy dropped off a spare battery and I was back on the road so I rode straight home.

I'll get the voltmeter out tomorrow but I've been down this road before. This was the only problem I had with my old VT1100 and now I believe in replacing the whole charging system at once. A weak regulator is taxing on a working stator and vice versa. I figure it's a good time for a battery too. I'll be getting the Shindengen MOSFET regulator (nice upgrade in my opinion!) and I'm searching for a new stator. Seemed the one for the old VT was easier to find but I'll cross reference some part numbers tomorrow.

Oddly enough this happened the day I was picking up my buddies old Ninja 250 for free, gonna clean the carbs on it tomorrow and get it running right! I love those little ninjettes, should be a good match for my wife's '09 Ninja 250R.

Name:  IMG_1691_zps18ccab67.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  129.1 KB

Old 08-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thedrewski86
I'll be getting the Shindengen MOSFET regulator (nice upgrade in my opinion!) an
Hi Drewski - Hope your not referring to ...
Universal Motorcycle Regulator Upgrade KIT Shindengen Mosfet FH020AA | eBay

or these

http://www.shindengen.co.jp/product_e/electro/reg.html

as they wont work. We have a Field control type charging system. These are for permanent magnet type.

From their description ..
(NOTE)Not for motorcycles with 5 wire stators in which 2 of them are for brushes. Or Field Control Type charging systems using non permanent magnet rotors.

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 08-10-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:04 AM
Welcome Crew

Well yikes, good call on that naga. I've done that upgrade before but hadn't really investigated it for this bike, just figured it would be a good route! Guess I'll do some different upgrades.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Brake rebuild - almost!

A beautiful sunny day in the Adelaide Hills so a brake rebuild on the 'newest' old 1987 CBR1000F was decided upon.

This is after the front right calliper seized on the trial run after getting the thing running.

Opening up the master cylinder I was greeted with this.............

So, dismantled the right calliper, cleaned up the line and flushed with fresh brake fluid, lubricated the sliders, cleaned the seals and rubbers and reassembled.

Bolting the calliper back on, the bolts felt strange when torqueing up. After snapping one, I decided on a closer look.

WHO in their fecking right mind uses mild steel bolts for a braking system?? Sheesh. You can see the bolt on the right hand side is stretched as well. Replaced with high tensile bolts and torqued to the correct setting, left calliper bled until clean fluid flowed. Cleaned and reset the spark plugs, fixed the manual fan lead and switch and we were ready for a late afternoon ride.

Got about 25 km from home this time before the LEFT calliper started dragging. Kicked it back into working/rolling form and set off for home. So, I'm going to have to buy a complete seal kit and do both callipers. If I keep getting double the distance each ride, the kilometerage will go up exponentially!

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 08-11-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Redshirt
1993 Honda CBR1000F US Model in Japan. Waiting for my new windshield, side mirrors, H4 HID kit that failed after 20 minutes. Any of you had issues with HID conversions? 73,000 miles, runs great with micron exhaust 4 into 1. I owned a 1991 CBR1000F Euro model when I was in Spain. Bullet proof reliability, never had any issues...
Welcome to the CBR Forum Redshirt,

Haven't fitted HIDs so no problems to report. So are you in Japan?

Cheers, Craig

Old 08-11-2013, 06:08 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
A beautiful sunny day in the Adelaide Hills so a brake rebuild on the 'newest' old 1987 CBR1000F was decided upon.

This is after the front right calliper seized on the trial run after getting the thing running.

Opening up the master cylinder I was greeted with this.............

Cheers, SB
Don't profess to be any sort of expert Seb, but, I'm almost certain it's not supposed to look like that.
Cheers
TK

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?