Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

2nd gear stand ups

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2nd gear stand ups

guys, DON'T DO FIRST GEAR STANDUPS. you just have to get used to second gears. Second gear it comes up much smoother. You pop the clutch in first gear standing up while pulling up and you're going to flip. Way too much power in first gear. Second gear guys, I would hate for someone to flip.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:01 AM

I can't get it to come up in second, even when I rev the **** out of it and fan it out. I must not be doing it right. I can't power it up in second either. The first gear standups I'm talking about were doing with just throttle, no clutch. I can get those to come up way easier and smoother than with the clutch. I'm still learning with the clutch, I'll get it down eventually.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Spike

I can't get it to come up in second, even when I rev the **** out of it and fan it out. I must not be doing it right. I can't power it up in second either. The first gear standups I'm talking about were doing with just throttle, no clutch. I can get those to come up way easier and smoother than with the clutch. I'm still learning with the clutch, I'll get it down eventually.
Seriously, be very careful. I don't want to preach at you but its way too touchy to do standups in 1st gear. If you live on any roads that have a very slight raise in them and then drop off, shift into second before oyu get to it. When you get to the top of the raise blip the throttle and yank back on the bars. The front wheel will come up, but you just need to practice doing that will give you the feel for it. After I went -1 in the front with my bike I was pissed bacasue I thought it wouldn't come up at all. You just need to work on it and it will come up. When I'm doing sitdowns on flat roads and want to power them up in 2nd roll up to about 65mph and blip the throttle and yank back while your sitting all the way back on your seat. With some practice you'll get it. Then try the standups just powering them. When I'm doing standups I get up between 45-55mph and blip the throttle and lean back, I kind of leave my legs with a bend in them and then push the pegs down to bring the front up. Its hard to describe how to do it, but you will know what I meen when your practicing. Sorry for the long post and the rambling, but I just got done with work and in need of some sleep LOL Good luck and be safe, just remember that you won't be riding them for miles on your first day and you will look stupid if anyone is watching, but thats what I'm willing to risk I guess LOL Peace Out

-Jesse-

Old 06-22-2006, 12:15 PM

Wait, I don't understand how you were pissed when you went -1 in front cause you thought it wouldn't come up.... Shouldn't the front end come up easier with that sprocket? When I was doing the power wheelies in first while standing staggered I remember what you're talking about with the leg bending thing. I don't like trying wheelies going really fast (like in second gear) that's why I mess with them in first. Once I put my -1 sprocket on this weekend I will give second gear wheelies another go with the speeds you listed.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:57 PM

i thought the same way you did....i didnt wanna do second gear wheelies when i was learning because it felt too fast...but now that i know what im doing (haha) second gear is definately the way to go...1st gear is way too easy to loop if you're learning...

And I'll say it again, ALWAYS COVER YOUR REAR BRAKE!!!!!

Controlling your wheelie with the throttle is dangerous, choppy, and makes them sway side to side. ====== very bad

Control your wheelie with the brake and they are smooth and alot safer....

Be careful..

Old 06-22-2006, 04:25 PM

We'll see if I can get it up easier in second once I put my new sprocket on.

Today went out and tried a bunch of wheelies, I can only get it up in first... second gear clutch ups come up like.... 6" at most. I didn't try any standing up in second as I don't have the clutch thing down when I'm sitting so I certainly can't do it standing up.

Do any of you ever get coolant on your swingarm when you're doing wheelies? I have a few drops of coolant on my swingarm and the only logical place for it to have come from was the reservoir when I had the bike tilted back in a wheelie. Any thoughts? I don't see coolant anywhere else, just those drops on the swingarm.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:17 PM

i've got those same drops....

anyway, honestly, i would put money down that your bike brings it up in 2nd as easy as anybody elses...

i went for the longest time on my r6 thinking that it wouldnt come up in 2nd till i got more and more confident...

heres a trick...on my F4i, the length that you have to twist the throttle grip to get to full throttle is pretty far...if im racing or getting ready to wheelie, ill rotate my hand so that im gripping it higher...kind of hard to explain...let me know if your following me...

basically, in my relaxed riding grip, my knuckles are pointing just about straight up...roll your hand forward so that your knuckles are pointing forward a bit so that when you move it back to the "relaxed" position, it will be revving up a little bit...i do this whenever im getting ready to race or wheelie, because it ensures that im getting full throttle...try it, and i bet it will help...

Old 06-22-2006, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: stuntn_r6

i've got those same drops....

anyway, honestly, i would put money down that your bike brings it up in 2nd as easy as anybody elses...

i went for the longest time on my r6 thinking that it wouldnt come up in 2nd till i got more and more confident...

heres a trick...on my F4i, the length that you have to twist the throttle grip to get to full throttle is pretty far...if im racing or getting ready to wheelie, ill rotate my hand so that im gripping it higher...kind of hard to explain...let me know if your following me...

basically, in my relaxed riding grip, my knuckles are pointing just about straight up...roll your hand forward so that your knuckles are pointing forward a bit so that when you move it back to the "relaxed" position, it will be revving up a little bit...i do this whenever im getting ready to race or wheelie, because it ensures that im getting full throttle...try it, and i bet it will help...
I understand exactly what you're saying. that's how i do mine as well. only way really.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Spike

Wait, I don't understand how you were pissed when you went -1 in front cause you thought it wouldn't come up.... Shouldn't the front end come up easier with that sprocket? When I was doing the power wheelies in first while standing staggered I remember what you're talking about with the leg bending thing. I don't like trying wheelies going really fast (like in second gear) that's why I mess with them in first. Once I put my -1 sprocket on this weekend I will give second gear wheelies another go with the speeds you listed.
I was just saying that I wasn't getting my timing right and it wouldn't come up. I can do power wheelies sitting or standing now all day long. But now I'm more confident in my sitdowns so I clutch the hell out of them LOL. Today I was riding home from work and I was cruising down the highway, a guy I work with was behind me telling me to wheelie so I shifted into second let the clutch out to see where the rpms were, then pulled it in and reved it to about 13,000 (I was going about 60-65) let the clutch out and it was right up. I can't clutch it up at slower speeds, but I don't think I'm reving it enough. But the sprocket is nice, but my speedo is way off, I'm too cheap to get the speedo healer LOL. I'd also add try not doing staggered standups at first, I tried them and it felt weird as hell, then did it normal and it came right up. Other than the other info stated above, I can't think of anything else to add. Just be safe, I don't want to find a post saying someone was doing wheelies and looped it. BE SAFE

-Jesse-

Old 06-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Clutch it up

Quick Reply: 2nd gear stand ups