Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

2nd gear stand ups

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2nd gear stand ups

ORIGINAL: kup125

ORIGINAL: Turnin20s

Just wanted to chime in and say that I finally got the ***** to start doing stand-ups, I don't know why it took me so long but I'm lovin it LOL. I can ride them in 2nd gear alot longer than my sit-downs. I bounce it up instead of clutching it. Just blip the throttle and pull back, I usually start at about 40-50mph and pull it up without any problems, no clutch. I do have one question, if your doing long wheelies is there anything that should be done to the bike? Someone told me that I should add an extra quart of oil, but thats doesn't sound like it would be a good idea. I don't just stunt, I ride alot of miles and do alot of wheelies here and there. Let me know. Thanks for the advice guys, but I think the best advice for someone that wants to try standups is just get off the damn computer and go do it LOL. Just take it slow and practice. I have been trying standups for about a month and I just got it down about 2 days ago, so take your time.

-Jesse-
ok when you ride long wheelies xtra oil is a good idea. but by long they mean minutes at a time at least a mile or slow **** in a lot . so unless your there dont even worry about it
Well I would say that my standup wheelies can be ridden a few miles, not sure how long but I get tired and set it down before the bike runs out. I'm working on getting them up then slowing down to a highway speed so I'm not riding them a 90 mph but working on getting to 65-75 mph consistantly. Mabye I could add a half a quart for some extra protection or would it hurt the bike when I'm just cruising? What about the oil pickup? Where can you get those, I may be interested.

-Jesse-

Old 06-16-2006, 08:33 AM

I finally got the front wheel up in the air using the clutch on my way home from work this morning. Came up about 2 feet each time. Started out I think about 20mph and slipped the clutch some, can't remember to what RPM. Felt really good to do them slower, I had been doing power wheelies which start at about 30-35 in first and basically go till redline (seems too fast to be starting out). So I'm going to practice some more soon, once I have a better handle on the clutching part I'm going to try standups. I want to be able to ride out some wheelies as it seems like a lot of fun. Also, it seems that slower is better for learning so that if you mess up, you will probably cause less damage to your bike than if you're going 50-60 MPH.

I need frame sliders ASAP!

Old 06-16-2006, 05:48 PM

yeah, if you're going to try BP wheelies and get serious with them, i'd rec. a full cage. like 200 bucks but it'll save your ***.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:43 PM

actually a cage is gonna run closer to 250-300$

balance point is scary at first but you kinda get used to it...#1 rule in my opinion, is ALWAYS COVER THE BACK BRAKE!!!

i've seen a few people fall by not doing this, if you give it a little too much and come back farther than BP your going over unless you can get on the brake...

once your getting them up there consistently the brake is the biggest part of your wheelie...when i bring mine up, i catch it with the back brake and ride it the whole time...thats how you control how far back you go, you have to keep the throttle the exact same..

also, if your using your throttle to control the wheelie, and its choppy (which it will be) thats when the bike wants to start goin back and forth (left and right) and that is scary....

Old 06-16-2006, 08:16 PM

What rpms are you guys usually at when you dump the clutch?

*I would like to see a video.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:14 PM

Here is a video I copied from another thread:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6&q=motorcycle

Old 06-16-2006, 10:43 PM

Batwing I love your sig!
Nice helmet BTW!
ORIGINAL: The Batwing

i usually do this in first gear , its a bit harder in second without help from the clutch

im rolling around 7k rpms then gun it to about 11k let off , and then snap the throttle and pull back on the bars.. works for me

Old 06-17-2006, 05:14 AM

Tonight what was working for me in 2nd was around 55, clutch into the almost the limiter (about 14) then easing off the clutch. I still havent been able to ride on the bp, but I think if I get to lettin the clutch out sooner will go a long way. **** is fun though. btw when I got back, the bike was idling low, then when I came to a full stop in the garage it died. The oil light came on. Do I need to add any parts or just throw some extra oil in there?

Old 06-17-2006, 05:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Black

Tonight what was working for me in 2nd was around 55, clutch into the almost the limiter (about 14) then easing off the clutch. I still havent been able to ride on the bp, but I think if I get to lettin the clutch out sooner will go a long way. **** is fun though. btw when I got back, the bike was idling low, then when I came to a full stop in the garage it died. The oil light came on. Do I need to add any parts or just throw some extra oil in there?
The oil light only came on because the bike died.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:02 AM

Oh. It was comming on a couple nights ago while I was doing wheelies but the bike was still idling, so I figured this was still related. It didnt come on today until after it died.Maybe ill throw a little more in it next time.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear stand ups