Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

carrying a passenger

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I started pillion riding when I was on my 250 ninja, it was after about a month or two of alone riding.....granted I was only 16 at the time....but what I did have was over four thousand miles and the help of my dad who had been riding a long time, and a pretty informative forum. But the forum only helps when you ask for it.

But always tell them the rules

1. Keep your feet on the pegs, period
2. Look over the shoulder we are turning to
3. Hold onto my waist, not the seat strap, it helps keep us aligned
4. Lean with me
5. Dont make and sudden moves when we are stopping
6. (Riders rule) Make sure they have the gear on

As for riding with one, start in a parking lot. I was going to until I couldnt find one and said, okay small town, we stay in the back roads. I stayed on low traffic roads practicing until I felt comfortable enough to try more of the main drags.

Also if you have the access to a passanger that has been a pillion before, use them. Its a new experience for you and her(him). Make it easier on both of you and only add one variable at a time(my GF was okay with it because I was using my mom).

And a sports bike isnt exactly the best place to start, its insanely more difficult. Especially with the split seats. They dont stay as aligned with you as a bannananananna seat. They also sit a lot higher and make the bike even more top heavy/wobly. When I got my cruiser, it really didnt feel like a difference unless we were moving at a slow speed which she would move and stretch like a ****...<.< But I barely felt the weight at a stop and at speed and stops. Only the slow down part.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My GF had never ridin a bike before. So i had to go over all rules with her and explain why and why not on everything. Even after a year she still asks if she is doing it all right.

I think that you have gotten really good advise already on what to have them do, but you have to get your GF to understand. She needs to learn how to be a passenger. But most of all, you have to learn your bike.