Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Security for an Apartment

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security for an Apartment

Looking for anybody that has used different types of security items for apartments. Im looking into some kind of wheel lock and cover. Any suggestions or product reviews?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its all about deterrents...having locks & things on the bike that would make a thief move on to the easier bike to steal. What you mentioned, wheel lock & cover, is a good start. If they don't know what's underneath, that's a deterrent...that is, unless they live where you do & they watch you come & go. If you get a cover, get one that has the gromets to use a locking cable.

I use Bike-Clubs & heavy duty key-locking cables. Run the cables thru the frame/subframe to a secure post, etc, you get the idea. Generally speaking, thieves are lazy & are looking for easy scores. The more work they'd have to do to get something, makes it less attractive for theft.

Good luck.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bring mine inside my kitchen. nothing like working on the bike next to the fridge and the microwave lol

Old 03-14-2010, 04:30 PM

i chain mine to the rim of my car

Old 03-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Nex

I've got underground parking in an apartment complex. Honestly, I'm a little more worried about some Jerk tipping it over, or running into it with their POS car. But, I am also looking into a cover and heavy duty cable + Lock.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could talk with the management and see if they'll consider putting in something to lock your bike to.

When they say "Hell no" offer to do it yourself if they'll give you permission and look into something like these:
http://www.lockitt.com/lockdown.htm#xenaxga

If you're not the only rider in the complex, gang up to get permission. Then hop over to Home Depot, rent a hammer drill and go for it.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:57 PM

I have a car port that backs up to a wall. I cable lock the tires to the support poles.one on each side. I tighten them up , by wrapping once around the wheel. so they are up off the ground. Looks like my bike is a hammock. I got two 7 ft long, 3/8th inch cables, and matching pad locks. I also have a disc lock for the front tire. I park so that the exhaust is up against the wall. Hopefully that will keep them from stealing my slip on!! THEN, I back my car up until it is about 4 inches from the bike. I was out of town for the weekend, and I also ran a cable from the frame into my trunk. If the bums go through all of that,, then I just call my insurance agent and start all over again.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 AM

What locking cable sets do you guys use?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by MEDCOXO
I have a car port that backs up to a wall. I cable lock the tires to the support poles.one on each side. I tighten them up , by wrapping once around the wheel. so they are up off the ground. Looks like my bike is a hammock. I got two 7 ft long, 3/8th inch cables, and matching pad locks. I also have a disc lock for the front tire. I park so that the exhaust is up against the wall. Hopefully that will keep them from stealing my slip on!! THEN, I back my car up until it is about 4 inches from the bike. I was out of town for the weekend, and I also ran a cable from the frame into my trunk. If the bums go through all of that,, then I just call my insurance agent and start all over again.
if any thieves go through all that to get your bike, they definitely earned it :LOL:

I have cover and disc locks, both front and rear disc, looking into a Scorpio alarm as well, like other posters said, it's more of a deterent than anything else