CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Parking bike in apartment lot

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking bike in apartment lot

I have a 98 f3 which i just bought about a month ago and have been parking it in the aparment complex i live. The complex is gated and i also have comprehensive ins so im not too worried about theft, vandalism, some dumbass knocking it over as insurance will cover that with a $100 deductible (plus i know my neighbors and who parks near me everyday so i could probably figure out who ran into it if someone did by looking at front bumpers).

My main concern is the vehicle being weathered (if that's possible) over time. Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether or not it is bad to leave a bike out in the elements instead of in a garage. I bought a cover for it the other day but it is not water proof. I will probably leave the cover on it if i am not going to be riding it for a couple days since it is pretty easy to take on and off. I could pay $40/month for a garage to store it in but thats double what im even paying for insurance and i feel like it would not be worth it. Any suggestions? Should i get a waterproof cover or does it not really matter?

Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Default RE: Parking bike in apartment lot

Storing it like that is asking for trouble. You need a cover thats both water-proof and breathable, otherwise things will start to rust, weather etc...

Old 04-28-2008, 07:59 PM

touche Broheim...ur gonna have all kinds of problems start comin up if you leave it out in the elements. a garage is a very good idea cause it gets it out of the weather, you know it's safe, andit gives you a place to work on it. but if anything, a water-proof cover is a worth-while investment.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:44 PM

Do the garage thing. If anything it will give you peace of mind and private place to talk toyour bike.

Those of you who think it's weird t talk to your bike should try it. It's like therapy.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 PM

I actually just ordered a cover off line that has a good customer review and says it is water resistant, vented,and pollen and dust proof so i think i will be taking back the POS cover that i originally bought. Any other feedback would be much appreciated as i still am considering the garage but i would only get it if people say that having the bike out in the elements, covered with a good cover, is still bad enough for me to be worried.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:29 PM

the water-proof cover is a good idea. they are made so that nothin can get in, but if watergets inside for some reason, like if it rains and the water comes through the bottom, it can evaporate through the cover. don't know if that makes any sense.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:46 PM

i keep my bike outside between my house n the neighbors , i live in a city environment so parking is rough. ive had two bikes parking them in my yard between houses covered n had no problems my f3 i had goin on 3 years . i have the dowco waterproof cover its great my f3 stays in between my house n the neighbors . a heated garage is great but no harm major harm will be done to the bike parked outside its not a show bike is it ? just you have to clean it and shine up parts a little more often .if you can park it next to a building where it wont be in the full elements that is better than just leaving it in a wide open parkin lot gettin hit from all angles .but i take my bike out often even in the winter i will take it out and then polish it up

Old 04-29-2008, 08:42 AM

it might not be a show bike, but you still take pride in your bike and what it looks like. i'm not saying you don't pointman. i'm just sayin you spent lots of money on that bike and put alot of time into it(some do, others don't). you should give it the best care you possibly can, whether that be with a garage or a cover.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: lmmck

it might not be a show bike, but you still take pride in your bike and what it looks like. i'm not saying you don't pointman. i'm just sayin you spent lots of money on that bike and put alot of time into it(some do, others don't). you should give it the best care you possibly can, whether that be with a garage or a cover.
i know what you mean but if you have no choice but to park it in a lot you make the best of it trust me i have a garage at my sisters house where i can park my bike but its a hikes away so i opt to keep it at home next to me i just like the fact of having my bike outside where i can just up n go if i feel

Old 04-29-2008, 04:41 PM

yeah i know what ya mean there. it's nice to be able to just jump on it and go. i've had mine in a garage for the past year but since i moved to an apartment, i won't have the luxury of a garage anymore. gonna have to get a nice cover.

Quick Reply: Parking bike in apartment lot