Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

People that own bikes and don't ride them-Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: People that own bikes and don't ride them-Why?

Umbraged! I feel umbraged.When your using your bike as your main transport, its easy to crack up the miles, ok, I've had bikes since I got my learners permit in 1968 (gawd thats 39 years). I rode to my work every day, one where I did a round trip of over 160 klm per day (about 100 miles) & I did that for 10 or so years, the route to work was along one of the best bike roads in Oz. But some of my other work had me commuting through **** loads of traffic into the city, so wot started out as a nice pristine bike, (and I was not doing lots of miles) soon ended up as a "hack", having to park it in all sorts of places, rain, & city crud, & crawling along at a snails pace, soon takes it toll. I got lucky and was able to pull the pin with work & retired 10 years ago. So not comutting anymore lets me choose when I ride, so low clicks, its not an imperative for me to ride every day, but when I do, I enjoy myself, just as much as the next guy.
Granted their are people out there that just get bikes to pose & trade up when the latest 'n' greatest come out, I've seen lots of bikes like that in the dealers & lets be honest, its great to find a bike like that & buy it.
If I'm buying & walk into a shop & I see a bike with heavy miles & unless its as cheap as, I keep looking (Yeah, I'm a shallow bastard).
Just keep in mind that low clicks on a bike does not mean that the owner is a "Fake" biker, there a many reasons why bikes don't have lots of miles on them

Old 10-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Retired Moderator

Well said

There are so many variables/factors that no one can simply peg someone with low miles as fake, poser, *$'s rider or whatever your choice of generalization.
I rode a lot for a while then bought a jetski and spent most of my time on the water, then another hobby and so on that limited my time ... there's only so much time to do things. I'm now back to riding quite often.
I know a lot of people who buy bikes in a spur of the moment decision because they thought it'd be cool to own one then don't ride for a variety of reason; less time than they thought they'd have, not as easy as they thought (scared for safety), bike broke down and too lazy to fix, etc.. etc... ride and have fun and don't judge. k?thx

Old 10-30-2007, 04:29 PM

OMG is this thread for real right now? Im not even gonna fight this 1.This is STUPID and I can't believe that this is even an issue? Maybe they got money to just have the ish like a trophy. Maybe a collector or have a sentimental value.**** i got money. I got 3 suv's, 1 truck, 2 cars, and 2 bikes and i can onlyoperate 1 at a time soI drive/ride what i feel and i'll stash what i feel.

last note. my boy died on a bike. and his main ride partner at the time stopped riding for good but still has his bike. so is he a poser?

sorry to anyone i might offend not really cocky or showoff but ish like this just gets on my last nerve. live YOUR life.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:46 PM
VP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres this one douchebag cop whos gotta be at least 50... got a 2004 Hayabusa brand new off the showroom in 2005... it literally has the same tank of gas as when he got it... and he's not a collector. he literally bought it to say he has it.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:18 PM

well, if that's his reason then so be it right? he bought it to pose! good enough!
in the grand scheme of things...his purchase helped feed someone family for at least a night...or someone's crack addiction...but whatever it doesn't matter, it kept the economy going!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM

I bought my f4i 2 months ago... I've put less than 1k miles on it since then. Then again, it's kind of hard to ride a bike when the battery decides to stop holding a charge. And it's kind of hard to talk yourself into buying a new battery just in time for winter

Old 10-30-2007, 06:35 PM

When I'm old and not able to ride a bike because im incompotent I'm still gonna have a bike, just incase I have one of those "good" days. I think this thread started by bashing the youngster that buy bikes and let em sit because they're posers. I know a few, and they're d-bags, but I couldn't care less. Theres nothing wrong with not being able to ride your bike, but having a bike and having plenty of time/opportunities to ride is a little on the gay side.

This thread shoulda started out something like, "Posers are gay", but then their wouldn't but much of a discussion.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:42 PM

umbrage: n. offense; resentment

Yep, lots of reasons why bikes have low miles. Mine has barely 20k after nearly a decade and a half but that's because of an entirely too long story that involves inattentive drivers and ends with me now massaging the spirit of the bike back to life. When I was a fresh adult, I remember getting irked at people who bought their stuff just to store it in a garage, but it was only because I wanted to do the same thing, but couldn't (still can't). If I were able, however, I would make sure every piece got a workout--in fact I'd make that my job--adding miles and removing grime from each bike and/or car. Collecting is fun, but collecting, using, and maintaining is much more rewarding.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 PM

^+1

Old 10-30-2007, 07:07 PM

i think you can put that cop with the busa in the rick james "im rich b*tch!" section.

ps im a sneakerhead too, so maybe the busa was his "holy grail". maybe he has a collection of 1 and is satisfied.

Quick Reply: People that own bikes and don't ride them-Why?