Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My girlfriend is giving me an ultimatum: her or the bike..

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex F.
here's a little bit of my history. in the past 3 years ive had 6 bikes. i would have kept my 05 f4i but i crashed it sept 09. after the accident i bought a cruiser than a z1000. i sold my z1000 last august thinking im done riding but now i feel the urge. she knows me very well so she sees me on craigslist all the time and knows something is up. she told me that if i buy a bike, shes ending the relationship. well, im gonna miss her. a bike is better than a girlfriend. the bike is never bitchy, doesnt ask me for 30 bucks for a manicure, doesnt know what valentine's day is and i dont get tired of riding it! ....

do you guys get s**t for riding from your significant others?? i dont know if there are ladies on this forum but i guess the question can be directed towards you as well.

Winning!--Charlie Sheen
You Sir... Are the man!

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
YouTube - Brad Paisley - I'm Gonna Miss Her

I make it clear to anyone I date that my bike if 100% non-negotiable. If you have a problem with that then move on. My bike is a part of me. Without it I can't be complete and if you can't respect that you're not the one for me.

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
Naked pictures of the Ex please.

Thanks.

+1

Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering that you had that previous crash, maybe she has decided that the anxiety of wondering whether you'll come back from a ride alive is not something she is prepared to live with. So it isn't necessarily about her trying to control you. You can try to talk with her about the risks associated with riding, and what you're prepared to do to reduce them - safety instruction, full gear, moderate speeds when street riding, etc.

My wife was very opposed to me riding, but eventually she saw that I had a responsible approach to it, and sees that I'm generally a mature, level headed person. As a compromise, because she hates loud bikes, I had the stock pipe put back on the bike.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 PM

Naked pictures of the Ex please.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:12 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

i see a lot of peoples wives and girlfriends love the bikes. thats how it should be. my wife always bitches about the bike and how i go riding around but the truth is i would be doing the same amount of driving running the same errands and at the end of day she loves the bike and wants to take pictures on it. she says its sexy. lol... i roll with that.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:27 AM

My wifes ace, lets me do pretty much what i want, ride when i want, spend countless hours in the garage when i want.

The only grief i've had is not spending enough time with my little girl syndrome. So now my little girl comes down and spends hours in the garage getting oily with daddy

everyones a winner

Old 03-28-2011, 08:07 AM

id just get one and keep riding, if she wants to leave she can leave. if someone loves you they should never give you an ultimatum... unless of course youre like an alcoholic, or crack head and they are truly doing it for your well being. but when it comes to things like video games, motorcycles, playing basketball, etc. and theyre just doing it out of jelousy... i just ignore it and keep doing what i want. if they stick around they stick around. I'm married and still the same way.

now there is a such thing as being a courteous as well. if ive been busy playing bball, riding, other obligations for a few days and the wife just wants to spend time together i make take a day or so off, because she is my wife and wants to see me. but no ultimatum will get me to do what anyone wants

Old 03-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I will be giving up my bike because of my relationship with the girl. In two years if we get in engaged I am selling it. I feel that it will be time to move on and not only think about myself..but us. I am assuming your girl is thinking about the us factor vs just yourself. Could be a test to see if your finical good with money to. If your out spending all the time on toys who is to say you change in the future.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Move on??? Sorry riding is not something I will just move on from. I will be riding until I physically can not ride anymore. Now I'm not saying you are wrong for doing so, but make sure it is what you want and not just a what she wants you to do thing .
Originally Posted by Krux
Personally I will be giving up my bike because of my relationship with the girl. In two years if we get in engaged I am selling it. I feel that it will be time to move on and not only think about myself..but us. I am assuming your girl is thinking about the us factor vs just yourself. Could be a test to see if your finical good with money to. If your out spending all the time on toys who is to say you change in the future.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM

I agree with everyone else. I rode before I started dating my wife and then after a year of marriage I bought my F2. Although she doesnt like going on long rides she still will go out on it with me for a little. She hasnt gotten used to me working on it all the time, especially this winter bc it was my first winter with it, but she understands i want it to look and function well. She pregnant now and just told me the other day she wants to go on one last ride when the weather breaks before she gets to big. Riding is a part of your life I would never give it up. Your girl could be worried about your saftey which you should think is cool, mine doesnt because my job is much more dagerous then riding. Talk it over if she doesnt understand I say the bike is the way to go. Have fun with that talk and decision though

Old 03-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Krux
the only way i'm gettin off two wheels is if i've been shoved off the mortal coil. my wife knows that. she understands that it's part of who i am. your significant other should inspire you to do more with your life, not make you give things up that help define you as a person in order to test your responsibility as a possible future husband and father.

Quick Reply: My girlfriend is giving me an ultimatum: her or the bike..