Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My girlfriend is giving me an ultimatum: her or the bike..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys come and go, bike always stay with me. Besides, now one of the criteria for someone to be ny significant other is to have some sort of sports bike. and have same type of passion towards his bike as me. But I may not be a normal typical female you find on the street. So don't trust what I say

Old 03-23-2011, 07:39 PM

I agree with everyone else that has posted. I think boyfriends - in your case girlfriends - (that are keepers) can go one of two ways- they also like to ride or they let you do your thing. I am a girl who likes to ride, my roommate will occasionally ride two up with her boyfriend, but other than that lets him do his own thing. Do you really want to be with someone who is going to tell you that you can't do what you obviously enjoy doing? ...Choice is yours!
Then again, I am a lot more of a tomboy than a lot of other girls... so maybe my thoughts on the matter are a bit skewed.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 PM

My wife got me to try riding bikes in the first place

Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by regener8ed
well, i can give you my personal standards on the issue based on relationship stages:

1) status: girlfriend.
you've got no input about my bike. (which leads to another piece of advice: NEVER adjust your life to suit the desires of someone else you're not married to. that's a direct road to regret, and the funny thing is that neither of you will be happier for it.)

2) status: fiancee
i'll limit my riding out of consideration, and we can talk about what's going to happen after the wedding.

3) status: wife
okay, NOW what's mine is yours.

-----

odds are, any girlfriend who really has an issue at stage 1 isn't going to make it anywhere near 2 or 3.
/discussion

regener8d has it 100%.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex F.
...do you guys get s**t for riding from your significant others??...
My SO is a rider & a very good one. We both commute, ride canyons/twisties, & track. So I'm GTG in that regard.

While I won't tell you how to live your life, I will tell you from experience in a previous life, that if you give up your interests for the sake of your SO, you'll regret it & always hold ill-feelings about it...whether you ever voice them or not. Compromise is one thing, ultimatums are something else entirely.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:09 PM

I just did this, and she went. The only thing i asked for was the helmet i bought her back hahahaha

Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 PM

theres a ride this saturday in my area and its on my GFs only day off. she told me to go... i think its a test.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Riding is part of who I am so there will always be a bike in my life. Bikes may come n go, like now, but there will be another one and if the wife/SO/GF cant deal with that, well then they can go out the door just as easy as they came in it

Luckily my wife loves riding and has no issues with me having a bike or riding.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Compromise is one thing, ultimatums are something else entirely.
I agree. Your girlfriend should love to see you doing what you love to do. Riding bike for most people here is probably almost like surfing in Hawaii. Surfing is not just a hobby. It is part of the life style. You can compromise here and there, but to totally quit doing it because of someone want you to? I rather live my life for me than for someone. If people have problem with that, I rather be single and having fun than attached and miserable

Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 PM

In for the lolz!!! This thread is nice!

Quick Reply: My girlfriend is giving me an ultimatum: her or the bike..