Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My girlfriend is giving me an ultimatum: her or the bike..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My girlfriend is giving me an ultimatum: her or the bike..

here's a little bit of my history. in the past 3 years ive had 6 bikes. i would have kept my 05 f4i but i crashed it sept 09. after the accident i bought a cruiser than a z1000. i sold my z1000 last august thinking im done riding but now i feel the urge. she knows me very well so she sees me on craigslist all the time and knows something is up. she told me that if i buy a bike, shes ending the relationship. well, im gonna miss her. a bike is better than a girlfriend. the bike is never bitchy, doesnt ask me for 30 bucks for a manicure, doesnt know what valentine's day is and i dont get tired of riding it! ....

do you guys get s**t for riding from your significant others?? i dont know if there are ladies on this forum but i guess the question can be directed towards you as well.

Winning!--Charlie Sheen

Old 03-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Default Sorry I can't help.

My wife has her own bike.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM

YouTube - Brad Paisley - I'm Gonna Miss Her

I make it clear to anyone I date that my bike if 100% non-negotiable. If you have a problem with that then move on. My bike is a part of me. Without it I can't be complete and if you can't respect that you're not the one for me.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only two things make my wife wild. Me and my bike. So i have no issue here. Sorry though man. Youll find a girl who loves you and the things you do.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:20 PM

No girlfriend = more money to spend on bikes

Now you can go find a girl that likes bikes too...

Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 PM

Naked pictures of the Ex please.

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

well, i can give you my personal standards on the issue based on relationship stages:

1) status: girlfriend.
you've got no input about my bike. (which leads to another piece of advice: NEVER adjust your life to suit the desires of someone else you're not married to. that's a direct road to regret, and the funny thing is that neither of you will be happier for it.)

2) status: fiancee
i'll limit my riding out of consideration, and we can talk about what's going to happen after the wedding.

3) status: wife
okay, NOW what's mine is yours.

-----

odds are, any girlfriend who really has an issue at stage 1 isn't going to make it anywhere near 2 or 3.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:15 PM

yeah man thats the best thing to do because if you do give up the bike shell think that she is your master and probs pull the "its me or xxxxx" card because she thinks shes the only thing that should be important to you. Women dont like to share their possessions espcially when they think you are one of them.

on the other hand maybe shes just jealous that uve been spending too much time on your bike and not enough time with her or something. could be worth at least trying to talk it over but most likely thats not the case.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:17 PM

I got lucky with my girlfriend, she loves riding on the bike cause not only does she think its fun, but she says "we spend even more time with each other"( just leave me alone!, just kidding i enjoy her company) She will even sit there and watch me polish the chrome on my bike cause she thinks its "manly and sexy" and i even got her, her own coat and helmet.

Your situation: Has she ever rode with you? Does she enjoy it? maybe get her a little more involved with you and you bike?

Old 03-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex F.
do you guys get s**t for riding from your significant others??
Heck, no. I had a Yamaha when I first met my wife. She loved going on rides with me. I did have to explain once or twice that most motorcycles don't have a reverse and that she'd have to get off for a minute while I pushed it backward out of a tight spot.

After the Yamaha I went for over 20 years without another one. Then I bought a 1000RR a little over a year ago. She had wanted me to get a Gold Wing but we made a compromise that I'd ride this bike for a few years until I "got it out of my system" and then go for the Cadillac on two wheels.

She wouldn't even sit on it for the first 6 months, saying that it looked like the position of the passenger pegs would put her knees up in her chin. Out of the blue one evening she wanted to go out in the garage and just sit on it. She was comfortable. Shortly after that she invested in a $400 Shoei helmet and now she wants to go riding everywhere with me. I'm not sure if she's changed her mind on the Gold Wing but I don't want to remind her.

Anyway, borrow a helmet for your GF and take her on a nice, LEISURELY ride. If you go fast and scare her she'll never want to get on it again. Try to get her to see how much fun it is and then maybe you can have both the bike and GF.

Quick Reply: My girlfriend is giving me an ultimatum: her or the bike..