Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Laid it down today :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
Is that a bent frame slider in the pictures? If it is, which brand is it? I doesn't look like it helped much.
Yeah, it's bent pretty bad. The mounting tab is bent for the slider. I think the plastic was too hard so it did less sliding and more grabbing of the pavement and bending.

I don't know the brand, it's probably some crappy eBay slider (came with the bike).

Old 10-23-2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Glad to hear you're ok. That's what matters.

I'd look at your insurance papers again. I didn't know it was possible to get Comprehensive without Collision. But you may not want to turn it in. Insurance company is very likely to total the bike for that damage. Much of which can be ignored or repaired pretty inexpensively.

When you feel better, pull the fairings and check for any real damage.
Thanks.

The gear can be repaired I guess...the pants have holes in them and everything, helmet is done for I would assume and that's the worst ($500) gloves are another $150 and done for (don't have pics), shoes need some replacement parts, pants have a few holes and some tears so those are probably done for ($250).

I know I can repair the bike for fairly cheap...I was trying to sell the bike though and with this I won't have it repaired until after the snow clears and the value will be dropped plus I'll have to put money in so it's kind of a large loss right now since I was planning to purchase a new car this month.

Oh well, I'm still working with the insurance company, supposed to get a call later today.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
Is that a bent frame slider in the pictures? If it is, which brand is it? I doesn't look like it helped much.
Those are no cut frame sliders and are well known throughout the moto world as a seriously bad idea that normally cause more harm then good.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:55 PM

I contacted Progressive today because they hadn't phoned me back all week. The claims agent told me she called my local agent and said I didn't purchase Collision insurance.

This is complete crap, it's my word against the agent that sold me the insurance and I'm a 19 year old kid. I have no resources to fight them and it wouldn't be worth it even if I won a court battle (lawyer fees).

I'm furious about this, I was trying to sell my bike before the crash because I was looking to purchase a new car and now any chance of that seems to be pretty shot because of that stupid ***** at the insurance office I visited. The guy was eating his lunch and breaking (what I assume to be) his companies rules and now I'm paying for it because he screwed me over.

This sucks.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Do you have a copy of the insurance policy from when you bought the bike? When I purchased my insurance for my bike, twice now, and my truck they stressed every little facet of my policy and doubly so what I wasn't paying for. If you have a copy from when you bought it than there is your proof of either he didn't explain something to you and you didn't sign paperwork about it or that you were covered. It sucks to see another rider screwed by a company and its a shame really that they didn't make sure you knew your policy like the back of your hand.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
Do you have a copy of the insurance policy from when you bought the bike? When I purchased my insurance for my bike, twice now, and my truck they stressed every little facet of my policy and doubly so what I wasn't paying for. If you have a copy from when you bought it than there is your proof of either he didn't explain something to you and you didn't sign paperwork about it or that you were covered. It sucks to see another rider screwed by a company and its a shame really that they didn't make sure you knew your policy like the back of your hand.
I probably do somewhere but I'm pretty sure it'll say what they're telling me I'll check though.

The agent I dealt with at my local agents office was completely incompitent in my opinion. He ate his lunch in front of me (I was the only customer there he could have left it in the lunch room until I left), he neglected to report my accident that I told him about, and he also said he was just going to update my 250s policy and open it again with the new bike information (FYI, my 250 had full coverage and I can confirm that).

Yippee!

Old 11-09-2013, 04:06 AM

A little bit of an update...

last Friday I got in contact with the regional supervisor (I think, she's some sort of supervisor at least) and she told me she'd look into my "case" and get back to me with some information on Monday since it was late in the day Friday. I told her that was fine and I'd expect her call Monday.

Monday comes and I get a call on my cell phone while I'm in class but NOT from her. I get a call from my local agent guy who I bought my policy through who hasn't contacted me and hasn't been contacted by me either. It's now been I think three weeks since the accident and so it was completely out of the blue...or was it?

Turns out it wasn't and he had heard about my crash and wanted to "see how I was doing" and try to uh..."refresh" my memory on some of the stuff that happened at his office. So he starts spitting out some stuff about how I came in and said that I was mainly concerned with saving money and how I was really worried about my bike getting stolen at college and he even said that I had come in and said something to the tune of "I'm a much better rider now and can handle my bike so that I don't crash" which is pretty much the exact opposite of how I ride. I agree that I can handle a bike much better than I could a year ago but even if I was the best rider in the world I can't control the idiot in the next lane over...if I thought I was able to avoid every crash I wouldn't wear all leather gear and a hi-vis helmet and I wouldn't ride responsibly (Still 19 years old and haven't been pulled over ever). But hey, I mean that's what he thinks I said! Just to point out some other flaws in the guys story...I live in Maine. If any of you guys have ever been to Maine you could probably take a pretty educated guess as to how many bikes get stolen...not many. I leave the key in my ignition at gas stations, my dad leaves his brand new Tundra running when he goes into the grocery store sometimes...yes I go to school in the city but I was never worried somebody would steal my bike from my college which has security cameras everywhere and I park in a parking garage as well. I could go on for hours about the crap he was trying to tell me that I said but I'm not going to bore you unless any of you are the supervisor lady in which case you're going to get an earfull next time we talk if this comes up again!

Anyways, he was basically trying to get me to "remember" some stuff I never said to cover his butt because he definitely did some things he probably shouldn't have (you know...not putting an accident I told him about into the system and some other stuff too). I told him I had to get back to class (which was true) and hung up. A few hours later I get a call from the regional lady who said that she had heard about him calling me and I told her what was up. She said that she would look into it some more. That was all on Monday.

Tuesday comes and I get a voicemail on my phone from the supervisor lady saying that she's going to look into how much it would have cost me to get full coverage (spoiler alert: A whopping $200/year which would still have been less than I was paying for my 250s full coverage when I bought it) and that if I paid the difference (I'm not sure if she expects me to now pay for the full year since I was paying monthly or if I'd pay the $200/12 months multiplied by however months I've had my policy which I think is three now) she might be able to cover my accident under full coverage which would in theory replace my gear and my bike would be repaired/paid for.

Now here's where it gets tricky (again). She sent me that message on Tuesday and told me she'd get back to me in about 24-48 hours because it would take time to quote my rate or whatever. Guess what? No call since then and I won't get one until Monday at the earliest since they don't work weekends I guess. It looks like I'm back to sitting and waiting for them to get back to me. I'll be calling her Monday if she hasn't called me and I'll get the story then I guess. I'm tired of waiting around for this crap to get taken care of.

Hopefully I'll have some good news on Monday.