Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Laid `er down >;(

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Laid `er down >;(

So pissed... This morning I was driving to work, and had the gas run out on me AGAIN! I mean I just filled `er up yesterday, guess gunning it really takes a crap on the mpg... Anyway, the bike started to sputter again, which I recognised right away that it`s running dry, so I switched onto the reserve and tried to jump start from the go, but this time it didn`t want to start... I had to go through all the gears trying to get it running again, and I was late as is so I actually started thinking calling a cab to get to work, but leaving the bike stranded aside a small rural backwoods road didn`t sound very tempting so I tried once more, and hey presto, it coughed a couple of times and off we went again... When I got to Vääksy that is about 2/3 on my way to work I stopped at a cold gas station to get some gas, and from some stupid brainfart I started going round the pump section clockwise! Turning right has somehow always been a little hard for me in slow speeds so I tilted the bike in a tiny bit too much, lost by balance and came crashing down to the tiles...The bike ended up on it`s right side, I stayed upright but about five yards away trying to run my legs under me...

Some minor damage to the right side fairing, nothing too bad:

Managed to soften the blow a bit before it got off my hands.
Some Gelcoat filler should do the job...Was propably painting the low half at some point anyway cause it`s all matt and the wrong red (see the border between the black tapes), or going to change the whole piece if I cand find the right color somewhere. Still ticked off cause it was a stupid mistake, completely my own fault and could have been easily avoided just by going the other way round... A bit of a wrestle trying to yank a 200kg bike up all on your own, took three tries and some language that would make a nun pass out to get it up, but eventually did, filled her up and rode into the sunrise...

Looking at the pic, Seems I`m missing a bolt too

Some luck there too, a meter to the right, and the bike would have landed on the corner of the pedestal the pumps sit on...

Old 05-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear this Mattson.

Main thing is that you're ok. I don't know how many times I've seen a rider go down in almost this same fashion, which seems so minor, but end up breaking an ankle, elbow, or wrist.

Hope your repairs go well.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

thats what you get for riding in the snow!!!!! lol/jk

glad youre ok and damage is minor.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:20 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to make you feel better, I used to fall just standing on my brand new bike. Lol. I'm glad to hear its not major accident. Btw, I got the powerballs thing for my wrist. It's good. Thanks

Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Heyy, Yumi!!! Was wondering just yesterday how are things with you since I haven't seen you round here for a while! U recovering well and all? The damage's pretty minor, just a little sanding, filling, painting and buffing and it's all good, it's just that it's going to the far end of a pretty long to do-list... this weekend on the scedule is to change the hinges to the driver door of my truck which is an all-day job cause I first have to work up a rig for a chain winch that I can lower the door down with. Been jumping in and out of the passenger side door for several weeks now and i'll tell ya, that gets old pretty dang fast... The whole cab's full of sand and everything's just messed up in there because of it. My car's interior needs to be put back together first too cause it's still all gutted after fighting three nights with a cruise control I put in there...Glad the powerball helps you, mine is so old and worn it bites you, as in change the direction of the rotation in full speed if I let it do it so I kinda have to watch out when spinning it. I've not been using it much lately cause the lil wood cube is so much handier when sitting at the computer. Gotta get going to work now, and the dog is scratching my side so I guess he needs to get out too...

Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

damn dude, that sucks. but those kind of tip-overs are just part of the price we pay as riders. you're okay, and at least you didn't have to leave your bike to get stolen or hit on that backroad. think about how much worse that would have been if you left it and when you came back with gas it was gone or totaled of in the ditches somewhere. (just something to think about to ease the pain)

Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 PM

yep, I got off pretty easy thinking I could have had to leave it there or the bike could very well have fallen on me. i don't feel that bad anymore, the side is the part that's in the worst condition in the first place, and this is one of the reasons I have an old bike, after all it IS my first "real" bike despite that I've been riding some kind of a two wheeler so long I can remember... And about those broken ankles, I actually thought of that just the day before, and had a pair of brand new riding boots on me And now I know the tipover cutoff works, didn't now I have one, noticed the sidestand light going lit when the bike died. Judging by the marks on the can, it wasn't the first time this bike went sideways, after all, it only has another 630km to go before the meter spins to all zeros!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:53 PM

Statistically, more accidents happen in less than 10mph, even so on parking lots. I have to admit i dropped my bike parking, apparently i the kick stand was not down all the way >_< pride was hurt, bad, shy. But! any downs that you walked away fine is good!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Sucks man. sorry to hear.

At least it looks minor.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:15 PM

I almost dropped mine a couple weeks ago, pulling into a parking lot. Stupid mistake as well. Instead of pulling past the spot I wanted, and walking it backwards into the spot, I tried to go into it, and turn sharply to line myself up. It started to go over, and I jumped off it to the side it was going on, and managed to catch up. Of course, I messed my shoulder up a little bit, but at least I didn't destroy my 3-week old REPSOL fairings!

And now you have even more motivation to fix what was already there! Hopefully you get it looking good in no time!

Quick Reply: Laid `er down >;(