CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Well, I laid it down...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, I laid it down...

Well, I laid it down last saturday doing about 20-25mph. I'm ok, and most importantly, everything minus the broken brake lever, foot peg, and airtech fiarings is untouched. Its got an airtech body on it that had quite a few holes scratched in it. I've since repaired all of the holes with a fiberglass repair kit and some bondo body filler. I tried to spray paint it and that went horrible. So I'm just gonna sand it back down and send it off to be painted. Thats gonna be a pretty penny I'm sure. My wife is not so happy, lol. Thank god she's not making me sell it. I got a few scratches but I'm fine a week later. Here's a few pics of my scratches, no gear obviously. Maybe I'll think twice about some gear.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15940/254423CE58014DE1945CED3A6D8F2F5C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15940/90085BC78517447495026823983942C3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15940/08E4F28849DC461FB671C07A9C51C902.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-13-2007, 02:38 AM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Well, I laid it down...

Rough way to learn to ride gear.

What happen?

Old 05-13-2007, 03:05 AM

I was going around a turn, where traffic merges yet theycommonly fail to yield as they are supposed to, when I realized that they weren't going to yield to me, I braked both front and back as well as downshifted and let the clutch out fast. It was slightly wet since it had rained in the morning hours but the sun was shining. Well, the bike drifted just a tad and pointed me to the right, torwards the sidewalk/curb. I freaked out and tried to turn the front wheel away from the curb but it was useless. The front tire hit the curb and down went me and the bike. Slid a good ways on the concrete sidewalk. Thinking about it all in hind sight, I should have just ridden straight onto the curb and slowed in the grass but I made a bad split second decicion. Better luck next time I suppose.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:09 AM
Retired Administrator

At least you and the bike are ok. You can never think "what if"on a crash, the "what if's" are never ending. Just have to try to remain calm and think.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:49 PM

I've been down twice in my whole time of riding and that's been over 6 years. Well, what I've learned is that at split second we worrymore about dropping the bike than our own well being. I know that in that shortof atime there is only so much you can do. It could've been worse but I'm glad you're ok and well the bike is repairable. It's gonna be a hot summer, so get you some breatheable gear or some individual guards(elbow, knee pads, etc.) and always wear your gear cause when you least expect it the "pave" is in your face...

P.S. Everyone be safe this summer.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:59 PM

everybodys right, you too. gear up and remember to use it, but this isan experience you'll learn from. i haven't been down yet (knock on wood) but i know when it happens i'll be geared up and hopefully stay calm and handle it appropriately.
also you've got a great wife at home too not to make you sell your wheels, better not forget that anniversary!

Old 05-14-2007, 10:20 PM

Buddy you aint liing, shes gonna be looking at a nice anniversary present. She may get a 250 Ninja, she's interested in riding. She's never even ridden a dirt bike. I'm scared to try and teach her, lol.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:54 AM

I've only gone down one time (on my old '96 F3) and wasn't wearing gear. Unlike your luck, I was going 75mph and ground off more skin than I care to remember. Knee, elbow and ankle bones were all exposed along with severe rash on my arms, legs, shoulders and back. I didn't touch a bike for two years after that, even though the whole wreck wasn't my fault (car changed lanes into me extremely fast).

I don't even ride down my driveway without gear.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:42 AM

ATGATT

All The Gear All The Time!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:56 PM

When we're geared up and prepared to respond to any situation...everything goes well, buton a hot summer day just going 2 milesdown tothe grocery store,cash your check,etc., no gear mind you...."BOOM...scrape...slide...roadrash...sirens. ..CALL911" in a split second. Both times I've fallen, I've had no gear. I have since been called a "punk" a fewtimes for wearing "full" gear everywhere I go,(full face lid, jacket, gloves, knee pads) to the movies, gas station, etc. Hopefully we won'thave tosee who's the punk with all the road rash in the ER, but that's usually how we all brighten up.
P.S. It's kinda f*cked up to say this but someone has to say it.
Don't wait to learn from your own mistakes.
Just look around and learn from everyone elses.[sm=insomnia.gif]

Quick Reply: Well, I laid it down...