Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Laid it down today :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laid it down today :(

I laid my 2003 CBR600RR down today...

Just got released from the hospital, I'm supposed to wear a splint but that's probably not going to happen...

Anyways, how it happened/what happened.

I was traveling at about 35MPH and went into a rather large traffic circle (like it's got a park with trees in it in the middle of it ) and was cruising around a the corner getting ready to straighten up and take my exit when there was a semi truck at the entrance before my exit that was pulling out. I made the decision to lean harder and get as far inside of the lane as I could instead of braking and so I countersteered and brought my bike lower and I think I must have hit some leaves from the huge trees overhead. Bike started sliding out and I just kind of slid across the road and into some soft dirt. The semi truck didn't actually pull out on me (must have seen me at least second) but it was enough to get me to go into defense mode and unfortunately ended up with a wrecked bike.

Not only do I have a wrecked bike and wrecked gear buy Progressive is telling me I don't have collision coverage...only comprehensive which is complete crap.

I went in the day after I bought the bike and purchased insurance from my local agent, I walked in and he pulled up his computer program and while eating his lunch proceeded to give me a policy. I asked for full coverage and I think I even specifically asked if I would be covered if I crashed the bike. I had full coverage on my CBR250R and that was going to cost me about $300 to insure this year. So when my rate came back and I had to pay like $45 a month (~500 a year) I didn't even double check anything because I knew I had asked for full coverage and my cost went up which I assumed was because I was going from a 250 to a 600. I was also sort of shocked because when he asked me about my driving history I mentioned a fender bender where I got backed into at a walmart parking lot but he didn't put that into the system even though it was like 2 years ago. So I left under the impression that I had full coverage because that's what I had asked for specifically. Personally it makes no sense to me to just get comprehensive because I store my bike in a garage out in the country (safe from thieves and falling trees) and I never figured it would get stolen. I also have really good health insurance so comprehensive coverage makes no sense for me to get over liability only which would have saved me like $250 a year if I had just gotten that. So I asked specifically for full coverage but I guess my definition of full coverage and my insurance agents definition aren't the same.

I'm beyond angry right now because while I can repair my motorcycle...replacing the gear will not be possible right now because I lost about $1,500 in gear today, probably more...I'll have pictures of the bike and gear tonight or tomorrow I guess.

Looks like I'm going to be out about $5,000 when this is said and done.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Holy **** dude! That sucks. I'm glad you're still here. You're supposed to wear a splint? What for, what happened to you? I hope it wasn't anything too serious, but it sucks to be out $5k. Post pictures if your bike and gear. What all do you need for the bike? I have some RR parts laying around.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
Holy **** dude! That sucks. I'm glad you're still here. You're supposed to wear a splint? What for, what happened to you? I hope it wasn't anything too serious, but it sucks to be out $5k. Post pictures if your bike and gear. What all do you need for the bike? I have some RR parts laying around.
Yeah it does suck. I'm supposed to wear a splint for my right wrist because it hurt a little bit after, I'll probably wear it for the next day or two but it's annoying.

I wear my gear for a reason and this is it, no roadrash and no bruising just the wrist thing and it's not even bad.

The bike needs a new left side basically. Rearset, all the fairings, frame slider may have bent the frame (I have to look later), and the handlebar needs to be replaced. I have a bottom fairing I can put on it but in the end I'm not sure if I'll ride for awhile. I'm not shaken up by it but the money is the issue....$1,500 of gear is done for and that's the most expensive part. I can fix the bike but I won't be able to ride because of my lack of gear for awhile, the last thing I'll be doing now is skimping on gear, I'm glad I didn't do that from the start. ATGATT!

I'll evaluate the bike tomorrow when I get it home and maybe put up a list, I'm going to fight Progressive on the insurance thing, I should be covered and they're running me around on this, stupid agent screwed me over.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Bummer!

But the MAIN thing is ATGATT worked - you're here typing. I am very glad you were not seriously hurt.

The rest is just money.

What is the difference between collision and comprehensive insurance?

Cheers, SB

Old 10-21-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Bummer!

But the MAIN thing is ATGATT worked - you're here typing. I am very glad you were not seriously hurt.

The rest is just money.

What is the difference between collision and comprehensive insurance?

Cheers, SB
I can't claim my bike because it was technically all my fault and nobody else was involved so I foot the bill.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
I can't claim my bike because it was technically all my fault and nobody else was involved so I foot the bill.

Thanks. Here in Oz, comprehensive covers everything except racing your bike on a track.

The bike can be fixed or renewed and new safety gear bought. Take the Zen view - you're hale and hearty with only a sore wrist for your experience. And next time you insure - read the fine print!

(I would double check with the Insurance company though.........)

Cheers, SB

Old 10-21-2013, 07:26 PM

Glad to hear your okay. Bike can be replaced you can't. Be safe!!

Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 PM

that definitely sucks, but why is all your gear trashed? if its just a little rashed up, with no holes and not super thin anywhere, then you'll still be good to wear it. Now if your helmet took a hit or has rash on it, then yea replace it.
But in the end its your skin on the line, if you wont feel safe wearing it anymore then dont.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014

This is some tough news. I hope you're feeling better soon, and you should consider dumping your insurer for somebody responsible.

Due to your post, I'll be checking my own insurance card and talking with my agent to insure that I am fully covered.

Guys n' Dolls, remember that the changing season brings lots of new dangers to the road - leaves, sand and salt from snow removal operations, etc. These are all traction modifiers and are bound to tax the best tires and riding technique if ignored. Even if you are conscious of this, these things can pop up in the worst locations at the worst times, which is why we wear ATGATT.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by FOGeologist
This is some tough news. I hope you're feeling better soon, and you should consider dumping your insurer for somebody responsible.

Due to your post, I'll be checking my own insurance card and talking with my agent to insure that I am fully covered.

Guys n' Dolls, remember that the changing season brings lots of new dangers to the road - leaves, sand and salt from snow removal operations, etc. These are all traction modifiers and are bound to tax the best tires and riding technique if ignored. Even if you are conscious of this, these things can pop up in the worst locations at the worst times, which is why we wear ATGATT.
Very true, a few of my friends checked with their agents to make sure they were covered. I don't believe it was an issue with Progressive (my family and I have always had good luck with their company) but with my local agent. I didn't do any of the sign up myself, he did it all on the computer when I went in. This is a common thing I guess (at least on another forum a guy mentioned not being insured for a year because he signed up on the phone and the agent didn't actually put it through).

Yikes.

Pictures of damages soon, looks like it's repairable but the value will go down and I've been trying to sell my bike, and all my gear is done for.

Looks like about $2,500 in losses which could have been worse but for a college student who's trying to purchase a new car...it's a lot. Oh well I guess.

Quick Reply: Laid it down today :(